Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newest Car you can afford or lowest miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:49 AM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newest Car you can afford or lowest miles?

As I continue my never-ending search for the perfect (and my first) Porsche I have read a lot of posts about "buy the best car you can afford". If I am looking for a car, amongst the styles I like, that will have the fewest headaches, is it better to buy a low mileage older car or higher mileage newer car? Assume both pass a detailed PPI. I would plan on keeping this car for 5-10 years and would be willing to do routine maintenance myself..

Is there an answer to this question? For the same money I can get a low mileage, late 80's carrera or a newer high mileage carrera 2/4. I love both, and would be happy with either, just curious what peole would recommend.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal opinion: Mileage (within reason) is not as significant as condition and history. Higher mileage, whether older or newer, would not concern me if there was good evidence of regular, routine maintenance, followed by a good PPI.

Regarding the vehicles you mention, both are excellent (ask me how I know - see sig). I would go with an '87+ Carrera to get the G50 trans and hydraulic clutch, but this is also personal preference and some folks like the older Carreras. The 3.2 in the '87 definitely does not have the power of the 3.6 in my C4, but the '87 is noticeably lighter and takes off quicker from a standing start. Ultimately, it is my belief that the '87 will end up costing less in service and maintenance than the C4: It just seems that the 3.6 motor is a little more expensive to work on (and since you are also looking at a C2, we won't even go into the potential expenses of dealing with the AWD). C4 is definitely heavier, plusher and quieter, but no less fun.

Looks like you have only positive choices regarding the years of cars you are looking at. Now take your time and find a great one. Oh, and if you havent driven a C2 or C4 yet, please be very careful. People are known to drive these cars for the first time, and then just have to have them. Makes all of your planning on how you were going to get the price down go through the window. Don't fall into that trap: Test drive as many cars as you can, and you will know the right one through the seat-of-the pants feel. Then follow through with service records and ppi.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 09-20-2003, 02:11 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty wide open question with a lot of possible answers. I have had more 87-89's but really loved my 993. I would say figure out your budget and stick to it....Don't be afraid of high mileage cars as the earlier post said.

High is a relative term with Porsche owners. Without knowing where you live it's tough to make a judgement call, but many areas with snow, rain etc. have owners that enjoy the car only during the summer or on weekends. Although I have a low mileage (10k) '88, I also had a high mileage '97 c4s (70k) at the same time. The cars need to be driven no matter what. Drive as many as you can get your hands on as mentioned earlier than just take the plunge....if you buy right you can always sell and pick something else up.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whenever I am in doubt about getting an earlier car or later car in the same condition, I always go towards the earlier car. Here is why. Every year that goes by, the chances of finding a good earlier car diminish slightly. This always applies to a far lesser extent in the newer car. For example, when I bought my SC over ten years ago, there were plenty of 73 and earlier 911S's to go around. Today, there are less good SC's and far, far less good S's. Or regular early 911's for that matter. And good S's now fetch at least the same or more than good SC's. Unless our calendars start going backwards, which hasn't happened yet, this is always the rule. That is why I always work upwards in car years instead of backwards. It costs too much money to go backwards. Place yourself in a similar situation back in the early seventies with a choice of either an old Ferrari 275GTB or a Ferrari 265GTB4 Daytona. To get the Daytona and later the 275GTB, would cost a hell of a lot more money. That is why if today I was presented with a beautiful 73 911S and a beautiful 911SC, I would go straight for the S. No brainer. Because five years down the line, with the probability of fewer good SC's, there would be even fewer good S's. Unless you are dead set on a particular model year. Given your question here, you are not. So think about it. I have personally gotten tired of my mistakes in not picking up some cars at the right time. This is from either subsequent appreciation or lack of easy availability at a later date.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:53 AM
dial911
Instructor

Good points by Ed.
I also prefer earlier cars because of their simplicity. I like to use wrenches, and can't imagine owing a newer, more complex Porsche.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:31 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went looking for my first 911, after owning a 924S (my first P car) and buying a 944 Turbo (my second P car - which I still have), I was looking for an 87-89 911 based on all that I read here and after driving at least 10 83 - 89 cars.
As fate would have it - my dad called me about a friend of his who was selling his 1995 993. It was $10K more than what I was originally budgeting but I am very happy.
If you can, buy the newest one (in the best condition with the most records) from someone who can honestly document the car's history.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:15 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed,
that is a great way to look at things...I never thought about it that way. I would think it would only be the case on cars with lower production numbers to start with though.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is the only way to look at things. One should always think of the future when making any decision. Including cars. Besides, as with anything, I would rather experience more products from a company than less. And it is tougher and more expensive to do it from newer to older. A In the case of the two Ferraris I mentioned, if today you were to go from that newer Daytona back to the older 275GTB, you would need an extra three or four hundred thousand. The ideal would be not to sell too much of the older stuff before ripening.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:46 AM
delhi
Racer

IMHO, for new beginners into Porsche, the 3.2 carreras are a safe bet. esepcially for it's simplicity and reliability. Also i find the prices of decent 3.2s are holding value better than 964s. in general I would prefer to go for a car that has less than 100k done on it. But really, take your time and buy with your head not with your heart. Ask as many questions to the owner to get a feel of his ownership of the 911.

Quick Reply: Newest Car you can afford or lowest miles?