The long term value of a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:19 AM
kyngfish
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The long term value of a Daily Driver

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 3.2 Carrera as a daily driver. I know the reliability and overall character of the car has been discussed ad nauseum, but I have a different question.

If I buy the car, with 70 thousand original miles, I'll be putting everything I have into it. If something goes wrong, I have credit cards and good interest rates, I'm not tapping myself out, but I DO have to finance the car. I'll have some down payment, but not a third or a half of the value.

It will be my only car, and I can do some of my own wrenching. I have spent the last 6 years with an 04 SLK32 AMG, which overall has been reliable, but not necessarily cheap.

Here's the rub. I'm going to drive the hell out of it. 5 days a week I'll put 40 miles per day on the car. I've read that longer commutes are better overall for the car than shorter ones, but ultimately, am I destroying the value of the car? Will I really be able to put another 50-70k miles on it before I can feasibly buy another car without damaging a piece of history?

Ultimately, even if it were a second car, the car would get driven, only maybe not so much in the daily grind. I can wait. I just don't really want to. Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What part of the world do you live? It doesn't make a good snow plow or desert dweller.

I cant say don't do it, but i would have a back up car, just incase.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:37 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kyngfish
I've read that longer commutes are better overall for the car than shorter ones, but ultimately, am I destroying the value of the car?
If you want to preserve value, buy a sub-$5k, used, econobox and put the rest into a GIC. Daily driven cars aren't generally thought of as effective ways to preserve capital.

Most other hobbies - the enthusiasts don't expect to profit after partaking in the hobby (e.g sailing and golf). Not sure why Porsche owners these days are so concerned with either not losing money or actually profiting after they have owned their cars.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldn't do it. The economics don't make any sense. It was one thing when that car could've been bought for under $20k but quite another in todays environment. As Kree says, if possible buy an econobox for most days in your 40 mile commute and preserve the 3.2 for great roads and meaningful trips. I can say for sure doing mile after mile on an interstate in a 3.2 is almost as boring as in that econobox...sure it looks cool but I can't see myself. Cheers and good luck
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You are financing the car and ready to repair it via credit card? You can't afford a vintage 911. This will only end in tears.

Between running costs, finance interest, and depreciation due to mileage, your "investment" won't return anything.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Any used car will cost you money to repair here and there, a 100 bucks just to plug a computer to tell you what's wrong on the new cars. Few of them will hold their value, let alone appreciate.
I'd say do it. I just read this story at Hemmings.com about a gentleman that drove his 1972 magnesium case Targa well over 650k miles. He did have to rebuild the motor at many points, and replace the magnesium case which finally cracked at around 500k miles (grounds for class action suit? lol). His car has now been restored, rebuilt and has won many concourses, its value is still high.
Life is too short to drive boring rides, the gift of life is today, tomorrow we don't know if we are gonna be around. Get the car you want, just make sure you get a good one by performing a thorough PPI. Drive the heck out of it, and when the engine gets tired many years from now (which you will hopefully be financially more secure), rebuild it.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

If you can't afford two cars, or repairs on one expensive one to maintain, don't do it.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
Any used car will cost you money to repair here and there, a 100 bucks just to plug a computer to tell you what's wrong on the new cars. Few of them will hold their value, let alone appreciate.
I'd say do it. I just read this story at Hemmings.com about a gentleman that drove his 1972 magnesium case Targa well over 650k miles. He did have to rebuild the motor at many points, and replace the magnesium case which finally cracked at around 500k miles (grounds for class action suit? lol). His car has now been restored, rebuilt and has won many concourses, its value is still high.
Life is too short to drive boring rides, the gift of life is today, tomorrow we don't know if we are gonna be around. Get the car you want, just make sure you get a good one by performing a thorough PPI. Drive the heck out of it, and when the engine gets tired many years from now (which you will hopefully be financially more secure), rebuild it.
Great testament to the cars longevity but the reality is "per mile" it will not be a super expensive car but it will be expensive. The OP is talking about doing at least 12k a year on the car. Pretty soon the heads will likely need to come off, all the "soft tissue" in the car (window seals, drive line boots, steering rack boots, brake seals, door seals, bushings, etc) will need (and perhaps already need) to be refreshed. Also those buyers that you are looking to sell a >150 thousand mile 911 to are fewer in number and they expect to pay much less than they would for a 75k mile car. But hey my opinion is just my opinion, personally I think a guy needs to drive boring rides to appreciate the great ones even more. Cheers
Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you'd be better of with a cpo'd 08 Carrera.
At least you'd have a warranty.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:49 PM
kyngfish
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GTgears
You are financing the car and ready to repair it via credit card? You can't afford a vintage 911. This will only end in tears.

Between running costs, finance interest, and depreciation due to mileage, your "investment" won't return anything.
Haha, thanks for the input, but I think you didn't read that I've been driving an AMG for the last 5 years. I'm familiar with the cost of repairs. To date, I've repaired sensors, tail-lights, ECU, drive shaft bushings, transmission plugs, motor mounts, interior plastics and a plethora of other things in that car. Because it says "AMG" on the back, things like dome light housings and cup holder housings or wood trim rise from 100 to 400 bucks.

What I was saying is that if I put all I have into the car and something catastrophic happens in the first 1-3 months. I have available credit and the means to pay for it.

Also, let me rephrase. I'm not worried about preserving the MARKET value of the car. My interest in reselling the car is little to nothing. I'm more worried about what the daily grind will do to the CAR. I have no problem maintaining it, but the bottom line is, are these cars made to be driven forever? Or are they now passing on into collector garages?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We see 200,000 and 300,000 mile owners post every once in a while. The cars can definitely do it. Keep the oil clean, run Chevron Super, Keep the wheel bearings tight, the spark plugs fresh, and she will go forever. Actually amazed at some of the stories.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my .02S's.....since advice is cheap.

I own a 67K mile 89', and can't think of a reason to sell it. They are that good.

IF it became your DD, you would most likely be looking at a clutch (sooner) and perhaps a top engine rebuild (later). This may be 1-3 years out, but it is coming if you're putting that type of mileage on it.

If you are not trying to preserve market value, you may want to broaden your mileage requirement and find one that has already had the above done. This should keep you from some quick credit card bullets and lower your entry cost.

Having said that, mine runs like a champ and yes well maintained air cooled cars can go deep on the odometer. I don't think I could drive it everyday in So. Cal., Traffic/AC/need for hauling kids etc.

I'd prefer you take a $199/month lease on a VW as your DD and drive the 911 whenever you want as ultimately, you are destroying the value of the car. Not to you, but to another buyer. see @drisump's comment.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I can read. I think ANYONE who chooses to finance a $30k+ car that isn't under warranty is financially foolish. That's not personal against you. That's an opinion about more general things.

Are these cars made to run forever? Sure. But it's going to cost you a pretty penny to keep it tip top. For your kind of driving I would say a safe annual repair budget is $5k. You won't spend $5k every year but on year 3 when your engine or gearbox needs service you will only out $5k on your credit card instead of $10 or $15k.

There are very few commutes I can think of where that many miles a day in an old 911 would be pleasant. It will be a big change from your AMG with respect to comfort. And no Starbucks holder...
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

any car will last forever if you continue to throw money at it (that includes an air cooled porsche)

if used frequently (say for regular weekend drives) i would agree with others than u should budget $5k/yr on average to maintain the car in top condition

a car that is older than 10 years will start to suffer not just mechanical wear but environmental damage to plastics/rubber materials/paint... cosmetic condition can deteriorate quickly and suddenly and nasty leaks can be expensive to address

if u are going to 'dd' a cool p-car, put 10-12-15 k miles on it annually, you are better off to get a new-ish one with warranty/cpo - they are still fun, fast and downright thrilling when called upon...even then service is not cheap - say $1000-2000 a year for fluids, tires, tune ups. unlike bmw, even brand new porsches do not come with factory-paid maintenance plans

other rule of thumb... porsches in general (well let's say porsche sports cars) are luxury items and expensive toys - you can pay all up front for a new one under warranty - or - pay for an older one out of warranty in large semi-random installments for service, repairs and reconditioning after the initial purchase... and these after-purchase outlays can easily exceed the initial cost of the car

so the old saws are indeed sharp and true --

1. u pay to play - no free lunch

2. if u are stretching to own it, u can't afford it

3. fine used cars are not for the faint of heart nor thin of wallet

4. if u take it to the track u better be able to lose it that day, and walk away with no tears no hardship

Last edited by golfnutintib; 08-26-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM
oprevot
Advanced

I drive a 2005 Honda Accord with 168k miles as my commuter to work. I keep my 3.2 in the garage and drive it to go out of town or cruise the hill country.

Quick Reply: The long term value of a Daily Driver