Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Question

What's the best buyer advantage.

1. Agree on sale price FIRST then PPI?

--OR--

2. PPI FIRST then negotiate sale price?

Seems to me agree on sale price first., then PPI; final price pending any findings. Correct?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:13 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually tentatively agree on a price contingent on the outcome of PPI. More often than not the PPI will reveal something and than the final negotiations begin.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogdweller5
Seems to me agree on sale price first., then PPI; final price pending any findings. Correct?
I tend to agree. PPI costs money, so if you and the seller have a different baseline price in mind for the car, you wanna know that before you pay a few hundred bucks for the PPI.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K., making sure I'm on the same page.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I tend to agree. PPI costs money, so if you and the seller have a different baseline price in mind for the car, you wanna know that before you pay a few hundred bucks for the PPI.
Yes. I think best is to have a pre-PPI deal all agreed upon first.

I.e., negotiate it all out with the assumption that the PPI will not reveal anything major. The buyer can reasonably then walk away post-PPI if the PPI is anything but perfect (and since he paid for the PPI, it's his loss/risk).

But the seller should be bound to sell at the pre-PPI agreed price since the buyer took the risk and paid for the PPI. If buyer wants a lower price based on PPI findings, it becomes a new deal. As a one-time buyer and a future seller, I think this is reasonable and fair.

I guess if the car's condition is really unknown, this method might not make sense. But if the PPI is basically to scan for land mines, it should work.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't commission a PPI unless you and seller already have an agreed upon baseline price. You agree to buy at price X if all lines up. Makes no matter that the ask was Y. Never get a PPI before you are comfortable with a deal price. What's the point if you think the car is worth $36 and he is asking $42? Unless you know that he will sell at your price you are wasting several hundred bucks getting a PPI.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Yup. I agree on price as its represented. Pending ppi. Depending what comes back I factor that in. Ppi gives you addition knowledge for negotiation. Keep in mind these are old cars. They all need something. Ppi just helps you to assess your tolerance for what it needs.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Agree on price prior to PPI. Then establish a baseline with seller such as simple maintenance items such as fluid or other misc things will be on you. Something like the first $500 the buyer will be responsible for. However, if something else comes up during the PPI the seller will need to reduce the price. If you don't have an agreement in principle you probably should not proceed with the PPI.

Quick Reply: PPI Question