911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blown Clutch?!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure if clutch has blown, dam smoke and that horrific burnt smell. I find it odd though, cause it was without warning and the pedal is still very firm, actually firmer than normal. Doesn't the pedal feel "lifeless" with a blown clutch? Gears also feel very odd, like there is almost nothing there, the shifter just moved around with no sense of shift gates. That has me concerned about tranny or linkage break

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 08-08-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a description of circumstances might help. The particular "brake like" aroma says clutch but your other symptoms seem strange.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:28 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Car drove fine until tried to get up my steep driveway. Kept stalling at attempt to let out clutch and go up. Finally got her up with heavy clutch use. Then once up, the smoke and smell. It's the hard pedal and gummy gear feel that has me puzzled. My friend was actually driving the car, while i was the passenger. I asked him if he felt any indication and he said no. He said that he was "double clutching" the car though, but not powershifting. I'm maybe thinking now w/ the hard pedal and no feel of shift gates, that clutch maybe burnt a little to get up driveway, but it's not damaged and maybe the gearbox or shifter linkage broke.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 08-08-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Strange further is that when car off and I push in clutch, car rolls, when disengage car stops. That tells me clutch working. I'm thinking more and more that it's transmission related. Maybe linkage broke in shifter if I'm lucky?? It's a short shift kit from Porsche.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:51 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Eager to hear more info, bugging a little here!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the coupler on the shift rod. That's 915 tranny.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Drisump
Racer

Well I'm not sure I'd let someone else struggle getting up a grade in my car....just saying. The feel of the tranny is more strange. If you put it in one of those gears that don't seem to be there, does the car roll despite not having your foot on the clutch? From your description it sounds like the clutch is still disengaging.... but it may have very little engagement left after the smoke show. Cheers
Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Maybe the coupler on the shift rod. That's 915 tranny.
Is there a way i can easily tell / check myself. I'm thinking and hoping more and more that it's a linkage issue, casue the shifter no matter in what position, feels like it's in neutral. If it was a transmission failure, wouldn't the shifter still feel somewhat normal?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the cover off the floor just in front of the rear seats. There are 4 screws securing it. With car not running, go through the shifting motion and see it those bushing in the coupler move any. If they do, you need a new or rebuilt coupler. You may also have a ball cup problem in the front on the gearshift lever. You need to check all of them to ensure you get the right culprit.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A burned up clutch when sitting can have enough grip to make the car roll and not roll. Just not enough grip to overcome the weight and get it moving under power.

Odd that the trans feels strange and doesn't seem to have gates. The clutch and trans are 2 separate systems. Even with no clutch your trans should work and feel normal.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:32 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

My guess is that your shift coupler failed and you friend was trying to get it up the driveway in 3rd instead of 1st, hence the burning of the clutch.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:26 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I am putting my money on irobertson's diagnosis.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by irobertson
My guess is that your shift coupler failed and you friend was trying to get it up the driveway in 3rd instead of 1st, hence the burning of the clutch.
I agree 100%, I guess we couldn't get into first and I had to use clutch very heavily to get up in 3rd. Would clutch pedal feel so stiff if that failed as well?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Pull the cover off the floor just in front of the rear seats. There are 4 screws securing it. With car not running, go through the shifting motion and see it those bushing in the coupler move any. If they do, you need a new or rebuilt coupler. You may also have a ball cup problem in the front on the gearshift lever. You need to check all of them to ensure you get the right culprit.
I check, thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:36 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Found the culprit as all can see in pic below.......dam bolt was loose!!!!Needed to adjust a little to get proper pattern down and then took her for a test drive. UNFORTUNATELY, clutch blew a mile from house. Clutch was a victim of collateral damage. Fortunatley I was able to limp her home and park in front of house. No way to get her up steep driveway. In hind sight, I wish we left her in street that "fateful" night and I did the quick fix in street and simply drove her up driveway safely.

So now i'm out a clutch, which is better than the also suspected tranny. How many hours and $ parts will it take for a good Porsche dealership to fix it? I normally go to my "seinfeld" mechanic, but I'm out at vacation home 150 miles away. The local Porcshe dealership here works on classics. I've been there before for chip and exhaust install and they also discount for local Metro PCA club members like me. Very fair and good work, otherwise, I would never trust a dealership.....
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown Clutch?!