Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

car with zero bids on eBay???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015 | 11:50 PM
Dukerdog
Racer

Default car with zero bids on eBay???

I was watching a car on eBay with a "buy it now" price and the auction ended without a single bid. I've seen similar cars at similar prices with more than 20 bids. None of these cars met the reserve but they all got lots of bids. I'm wondering why this car would not get a single bid.
Old 07-07-2015 | 12:01 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

OK,
Here's an example of a car that I was interested in. This car has been on buy it now for 2 or 3 cycles at a price that was clearly more than the market considered real because every time the auction ended without a sell.

3.5 days ago they put it on auction with a $100 opening bid. Earlier today the lowered the reserve on it when it was still around $10k. I bid $12,500 on it this afternoon just for s*73s. Look at the price now. It hasn't hit reserve, but it likely will.

People have been watching this car for weeks. It's at a dealer and I am sure a few people called or emailed. Now that it's open to a real auction they are bidding. I think it's gonna sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371374077366?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 07-07-2015 | 12:15 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
OK,
Here's an example of a car that I was interested in. This car has been on buy it now for 2 or 3 cycles at a price that was clearly more than the market considered real because every time the auction ended without a sell.

3.5 days ago they put it on auction with a $100 opening bid. Earlier today the lowered the reserve on it when it was still around $10k. I bid $12,500 on it this afternoon just for s*73s. Look at the price now. It hasn't hit reserve, but it likely will.

People have been watching this car for weeks. It's at a dealer and I am sure a few people called or emailed. Now that it's open to a real auction they are bidding. I think it's gonna sell.

Porsche 911 Targa s Low Miles | eBay
I'm not following you. How do you know they lowered the reserve when it was around $10,000 if the reserve is still not met? Also, when it was listed previously and didn't sell did it get any bids? The car I was following didn't get a single bid.
Old 07-07-2015 | 12:51 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I got an email notice that they lowered the reserve. I don't know what the reserve was previously.

I take back my previous comments about being confident that it will sell this time. I looked at the bid history:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...Buyer_ViewLink
Leading bidder has 13% of their bids with this seller. It's likely a shill. They have someone bidding up their own auction trying to make it sell. It just takes one real buyer to bid against the shill to have a sale.

A buy it now car doesn't get regular bids. They can set it with a make an offer function or without one. They can also run it as a regular auction with a buy it now price. There's a couple up there right now with about a $4k gap between the two numbers. So if you want to bid you have to start at a minimum up, let's say, $24k. Then there is a buy it now at $28k. They could set reserve anywhere in between. It's usually pretty close to the buy it now number.

So much of Ebay is seller's playing with your brain. They want you to believe that you can get a deal. They want to draw you in and get you commited with that first bid. It's like crack. You make the bid and you want another and another until you've bought it at the price they dictate. There is very little real auctioning going on in Ebay Motors these days. It's mostly dealers advertising their cars for sale at set prices. Many just make it look like that's not the case.
Old 07-07-2015 | 10:27 AM
gerry100
Pro

Might help if they said "low mileage" is

I couldn't find a number
Old 07-07-2015 | 05:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gerry100
Might help if they said "low mileage" is

I couldn't find a number
"95000 actual miles"

as opposed to what ? 95,000 fake miles ?
Old 07-07-2015 | 07:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

But this isn't the car the OP is asking about. He's asking a question about how ebay works.

Quick Reply: car with zero bids on eBay???