Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

dealer listing on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer listing on Ebay

I test drove a 911 last Friday which had just been posted on a dealer site the previous day. I told the salesman I was going to call Monday to schedule a PPI. He said "we will keep in touch". Before I even had a chance to call him yesterday he listed the car on Ebay. That doesn't seem right. Is that typical of dealers?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes it is. In in the same situation. In my instance the car has not met reserve and they still refuse to sell me the car at the full ask price from the ad when they had it on their website. They think they can get more out of the auction.

And sometimes these cars are on consignment and the dealer doesn't have final say. I thought I had a deal yesterday and the dealer then back pedaled and it became obvious he had to get permission for the deal. An hour later he called and I was told that I can bid on the car but it isn't coming down from EBay.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

...its a sellers market to be sure ..
Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say typical of anyone selling anything. Until the deal is done, it's for sale, and the salesperson will be actively trying to close anyone who might buy it. As for GTgears, in that situation I'd be pissed. If you come cash in hand at the advertised price, that should be a deal closer. Bird in the hand from the salespersons perspective. And I'd be clear, "Your asking price today, but if you can't sell it at auction, my offer drops by $2K after the fact."
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been on both sides of this as a seller and a buyer. As a seller, there are a lot of guys that are very nice and well intentioned but will waste time trying to get money together thus delaying a sale. When I sold my 993 I had several guys ask to hold it but I was very clear that it was still for sale and cash-in-hand closes the deal. When somebody else showed up a few days later I had to take the offer. The first guy was mad but he admitted it would have taken a month for him to assemble the money.

As a buyer, I offer a deposit to hold it while the PPI, etc gets done.... Just like a house deal. More reasonable sellers will take the deposit and engage. The scheisters will not take the deposit hoping to get an easier transaction.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:01 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

You ever refuse a full price offer with cash on the table in front of you?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM
lucky strike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Never!!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I immediately put $3k in the seller's hand once I decided that I want the car. The seller had a "reservation" from another guy ... but with no money having been given to the seller. Needless to say that I got the car simply because I convinced the buyer, through my actions, that I was buying that car. As the saying goes, money talks and bs walks...
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

There is sometimes justice in the world. Just bought a car out from under the exact same dealer who refused my offer. And this car was a better deal. Ha!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,096 Posts

There is sometimes justice in the world. Just bought a car out from under the exact same dealer who refused my offer. And this car was a better deal. Ha!
Nice job. And in my line of work you ALWAYS take the $ off the table when you have the chance.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope... Cash talks and BS walks. When selling a car a full-price cash offer means sold. Waiting for a guy to get his act together = missed sale.

Full disclosure: I'm in electronics sales and appreciate a smooth transaction. I've been known to fire my problem customers. Same applies to selling cars.

Quick Reply: dealer listing on Ebay