Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Paint the 11 blade fan? Any pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 AM
bship
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint the 11 blade fan? Any pics?

I am replacing my voltage regulator and rebuilding the brushes on my alternator and while I had the fan and shroud off I thought I might paint the fan. Has anyone else done this? What colors have you done my car is black? Can someone post some pics of theirs? Is this ricey? Sorry for so many questions.

Scott
Old 09-12-2003, 09:50 AM
johnnyquest
Advanced

I've seen them powdercoated to match the paint color of the car - if you have the 101 Projects book, I think there's a pic of one somewhere, maybe inside front cover if I recall correctly - don't have it here with me. It's a cool look but the stock purists won't like it. Could affect resale value.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I painted mine two years ago with Plasti-Kote high temp enamel. I painted it red, I have a guards red SC. I am going to have to redo it. If you decide to paint your fan.... powder coat it and have it done by someone that has experience in car parts.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

When I had my 930 motor enhanced I had the fan painted the same silver / gray color that is used on the 993 fans - it looks very stock but certainly better than it did before.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott,

It must be nice to be so close to VIR. That is an amazing facility.

Richard
Old 09-12-2003, 08:44 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

I had mine all apart and wanted to do something different. I was going to paint, but was talked out of it due to the fact that after time, the paint will start to wear thin due to the amount of very small particles kicking arounr the engine compartment. This will be especially true of the leading edge of each blade.

Instead I polished both the fan and the housing to a very high, almost chrome-like luster. It looks great. Took about four hours of work, but again, looks great.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Stellpflug
Advanced

What did you use to polish the fan?

chris
Old 09-13-2003, 10:38 AM
bship
Intermediate

Richard
You are right VIR is an incredible facility. When they renovated it they did it first class. Ive done many HPDE's there with PCA and NASA and I learn something new each time. PCA is there this weekend and Mercedes club will be there Mon and Tues. This is a small town and it is very cool to see so many awesome cars around town each weekend. VIR just got the approval from the city and county to bring water and sewer to the complex so now they are planning to build accomodations as well as condos on site! AMA superbike was here 2 weeks ago and if you have never seen that sort of riding in person it is quite impressive. PCA will be here a few more times this year, hope you can make one!

Scott
Old 09-13-2003, 04:39 PM
bones
Instructor

If you powder coat the fan you have to get all the impregnated oils and engine emissions out , this is done by heating the magnesium and 'sweating' it out. I've considered painting mine but have been put of by the processes you have to go through to get a good finish . I'm now going to plastic bead blast the fan and simply polish it with Speedy metal polish every now and then.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:34 PM
RoninLB
Pro

I'm going to nickel plate the fan. Fan Plating $60.00. When polished looks like dull chrome
If you decide to go through with this, process the spec is
MIL-C-26074, Class3, Grade A Electroless Bright Nickel plating..Rockwell rating 46-50 Rc
Old 09-13-2003, 10:09 PM
dial911
Instructor

Originally posted by RoninLB
I'm going to nickel plate the fan.
I'm curious, Ron.....is Mg safely electro-platable?
Any issues with embrittlement; post-plating weakness?
You wouldn't want a fan blade to crack and fly apart at max speed.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:20 PM
RoninLB
Pro

I don't know much about it.
A few guys have plated their fans and love the non chip fan.. I painted my fan awhile ago paint will always chip. So pretty soon I'll do the nickel. Maybe do a search for info here? if you can't find info I'll look around for you...........Ron

Quick Reply: Paint the 11 blade fan? Any pics?