Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help needed please, deposit down on '88 coupe. Any thoughts most welcome..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No cruise control and it got the small windshield washer bottle under the hood rather than the boat anchor under the render. Both a plus.

Not tar on the strut top. Maybe it got new inserts, maybe worse.

Rust on the jack point tells me something horrific happened to remove the corrosion protection from a body panel

The black cosmoline is interesting.

Valve cover bolts have not been off in a looooong time.

Solid oil return tubes tell us either it has been rebuild well, or it is original.....ya, that wasn'thelpful. LOL.

Love the Sports shocks.

Pedal board looks hammered.

Caliper is not rainbow cad color.

Why the black zip tie?

Look at the body damage above the latch plate.

Aftermarket headers w/heat

Painted fan housing? Really????

Why does the paint code sticker look like someone messed with it. I've never seen that before.

Why the black aftermarket gas tank?????????

Paint layers in the door jam make me think respray.

Why is it sooo freakin' dirty under the hood? I could eat off that area on my '88.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad car, I'm just saying that there is reason to negotiate the price. Someone has seriously abused this car. Damage above the latch plate and a painted fan housing says, at a minimum, that it was exposed to a hack mechanic that had no idea what he was doing. There are even a couple of scratches by the vin plate that make me suspicious and curious enough that I'm gonna go look at mine.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 06-09-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OMFG!!!!! Look at the paint on the aluminum production tag and on the paint code sticker. Now I know why the paint code sticker looked all torn up. (I just switched from my droid to my 27" desk top monitor) The panel has been painted black. Who does this crap?

Look at the very upper left corner of this picture. Chipped paint.

Now you really have room to negotiate.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This is mine. Note the welds? I now also see a dent in yours that isn't in mine.

Notice that mine is painted blue Something really bad had to happen to your car. Not only is it extremely dirty where it should be spotless, it has dents in places they don't belong and is painted a color it should not be painted. I'm guessing the riveted production plate has to do with it's delivery destination.

Sure hope you haven't written the check.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK, here is one on Pelican that is entirely spot welded. Now mine looks like the oddball....likely done to cabrios.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM
mo-mon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome forensic work, Amber!

Judging by the pictures, I believe there was a collision to the passenger side.

Bad repair work-rust, door gap issues, nasty trunk. Go around the car with a magnet. Might have a lot of filler under that paint.

I'd reach out to the air-cooled crowd in HK. I'm sure they know this car and it's history. It's a small group-everyone knows each other. Maybe that Indy shop knows a few of them. Search this site & pelican. Find out as much as you can.

If you still want to proceed, do the comp/leakdown. Check structural integrity. If the results are good, negotiate for a price reduction. Unless you plan to drive this car to the ground, you might have a problem selling this down the road.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Is the heat blower missing from the engine? And now I am seeing the exhaust SSI.

I think someone hot rodded the engine, then crashed it, then left it outside to fill with water, then restored it.

It also has H4 headlights. A plus....but why?

Why is there a barrier hose under the center console? Right hand drive thing?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The little rubber "fender extender" separators are missing too.

It's a $6.75 part x 2.

Right side door pocket lid is crushed and the steering wheel looks to have been restitched.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

wow! damn i cant believe it was completely set on the car.
amber lamps i owe you one big time was just paying 50% deposit today, thanks for your hawk eye!

I thought the black stuff was some sort of tar it did seem to rub off on my hands. It has had three coats of paint from what i could tell, The original marine blue metallic, a greyish purple metallic, and then the grey metallic on top.

if it hasn't had the accident i can deal with the incompetent fix up job someone did to sell it on as it could be reversible. Even if I slowly replace those bits correctly over time but an accident! god no!

the rust on the jacking point was solid and did come out bad in the picture but.. yes why is it there in the first place. i did notice that in the back foot well of the drivers side under the carpet the under seal coating had cracked and flaked but no sign of rust really.

Cannot believe it i had a good feeling about it although it didn't look pristine.

So you all advise me to stop? should i bother with the ppi?

thanks again, I am very grateful.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 AM
pmax
Advanced

Hard to tell if there has been any major accidents from the blurry pics you posted. The 'damage' above the latch could be due to heavy handed mechanics taking a toll on the panel. The multilayer paint job could be the culprit in the frunk.
I assume you don't find many of these cars in HK. I would do a PPI.
Also, some of the differences pointed out could simply be due to the non US configuration.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 AM
pmax
Advanced

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OK, here is one on Pelican that is entirely spot welded. Now mine looks like the oddball....likely done to cabrios.
Missing spot welds are often cited as evidence of damage repair. Would the factory have used two welding methods for this panel ?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by pmax
Missing spot welds are often cited as evidence of damage repair. Would the factory have used two welding methods for this panel ?
It could be that cabriolets got a different weld there like they got additional panels in the foot wells for stiffness.

I don't think we give up on this car, I think we demand answers to all the questions. Nobody changes the color of a high end sports car without a good reason. Hiding damage is a good reason. The new gas tank is a dead giveaway in my book that the front end took a major hit. If your intent is to drive then this car will do. If your intent is to park money or grow your money via this investment, then this may not be the one. Hard call.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Go take more pictures in and around t the front end. Underneath the right front especially. I want to see the oil cooler and bumper mounts. What color is on the inside of that bumper?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

this is all I have for the moment will try and get more asap
Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 2c: I would not pay $64K US for this car. (I would not pay anything based on what I'm seeing in this thread.) Even with the 40% import tax, you can do better for less. This is not the only 3.2 911 in the world.

Maybe if you search classified ads in the UK, you can get a right-hand drive version. A few minutes of web searching yielded these two example links:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u...icksearch/true

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...sche/model-911

Best of luck.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
mo-mon
7th Gear

I second Amber's comment. Take clear photos underneath the front passenger side and post them. With the help of the collective wisdom of this board, evaluate the car objectively.

This situation reminds me of the words of Cat Stevens a long time ago-"Take your time, think a lot, think of everything you've got, for you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not."

Quick Reply: Help needed please, deposit down on '88 coupe. Any thoughts most welcome..