Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 not started in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015 | 08:04 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Default 1977 not started in 10 years

Hi, I'm trying to help a person maybe sell their Porsche 911 1977. She said the husband parked it 20 years ago. Inside a covered garage, looks nice.

Can somebody give me some not started in 20 year tips.

SHould I crank it over for oil pressure but no ignition. I ask her to NOT ATTEMPT TO start it so I could ask the experts at Rennlist. She's selling it to redo the kitchen, the husband does not want to sell it. I'm trying to talk here into letting him keep it and do home equity loan. These going up in value right. It looks nice.

My first post here in the 911 group. Hello, Im' wayne. Former BMW Tech 1986-1990. Former California Smog Bar 1 and Bar 2 license. The ad. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5051814496.html
Old 05-31-2015 | 10:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Looks pretty much like all the other POS 2.7L cars that got parked about that time, as the repair costs to even keep them mechanically marginally going equated their ~$5-7K worth. Today, all bets are off, huh?

As far as what to do. Obviously, fresh oil. The pump throws enough oil around almost instantly to provide startup lubrication. If truly worried about top end lubrication, pull the upper covers and add some oil directly. Going to need a battery. And then there's the fuel/fueling situation. From the sludge left in the tank, to the fuel distributor being gummed up......one time I had a guy start up a dormant '73S, then after the old gas seized the intake guides when he ran it for awhile......he was in for a top end.

Then you're into the forensics of the brakes/axles/clutch/transaxle. And no way, no how are you not replacing the tires. But all that might be beyond just wanting to have a car with a running engine for sale.
Old 05-31-2015 | 10:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

give it a wash and put it up for sale for $10-15k
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:03 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Great feedback. I forgot about the battery being dead.
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:06 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Besides changing the oil, I bet that gas tank is nasty with the crappy gas we have these days. Have you tried sniffing the gas to see if it smells like varnish? That varnish old gas won't even fire in a lawnmower.

-Jason
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:12 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

I just spoke to her, If I got it running and operational, passing smog, its probably worth 20,000 on ebay is my guess. If I put 10k of repairs and labor I would get 30K, but that's tops. My feelings. Not facts.
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:14 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
Besides changing the oil, I bet that gas tank is nasty with the crappy gas we have these days. Have you tried sniffing the gas to see if it smells like varnish? That varnish old gas won't even fire in a lawnmower.

-Jason
You're right! 'hat varnish old gas won't even fire in a lawnmower.' Gas goes to that golden gooey varnish, than clogging. Damn fun project.

I'm in love with 928's. I respect the 911 as the god, yet the v8 sound does it for me. v12 does it more for me.
Old 06-01-2015 | 02:29 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by waynelambright
I just spoke to her, If I got it running and operational, passing smog, its probably worth 20,000 on ebay is my guess. If I put 10k of repairs and labor I would get 30K, but that's tops. My feelings. Not facts.
You're pretty much on target there.

As for firing it up, as said, drain replace oil, pull valve covers and give a squirt. Check valve adjustment while the covers are off. Drain fuel tank, drop swirlpot screen, clean or replace. Pull fuel filter, back flush fuel lines to tank while screen is out, replace filter. Turn engine by hand for several rounds, listen for clunks, etc. Drain and re-fill transmission with Swepco. Then give it a go.

Before driving it, flush all brake fluid, replace flexible brake lines, check for sticking calipers, replace tires, do visual on rest of suspension and steering.

Before driving it hard you'll probably need calipers re-built, suspension bushings, steering rack re-build, tie rods and other assorted rubber parts such as CV boots, sway bar bushings, axle flange seals etc. Probably needs CV service or replace too.
CA smog on a 77 was not pretty. Haven't lived there is 10 years, so I'm not up on the laws anymore. Can you pull it off yet? If it's got the 5 blade fan, that's gotta go too. If head studs haven't been done (time certs) that's on the list sooner than later. AC is bad news on 2.7's as well.
To someone who knows these cars and can do most or all the work it's probably worth in the $8-12k range, depending on if the head studs are done yet. To the poseurs on Ebay, you're probably correct at 20.
The Pelican forum is a little more friendly towards the mid-years. Give a shout over there.
Cheers!
-C
Old 06-01-2015 | 03:07 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ I agree 100%

-Jason
Old 06-01-2015 | 06:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

If it is running you might see $20k, but to get it running it could cost you $5k++++

I dont think it would see $30k, even on a good day.

Sell it as is, barn find - $14900.
Old 06-02-2015 | 01:04 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

If i was her id wash it up real good and sell it as it
As a barn find should fetch 12k maybe 15k

Id advertise it on pelican seems like they like the 2.7 better there
And ebay

Quick Reply: 1977 not started in 10 years