Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"don't lift in the turn" question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:07 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

As an owner of various 911's for the past 40 years, I suggest every owner should find a way to actually experience just how their own 911 reacts when you lift. On a track is best, of course, but I would often use a "safe" cloverleaf off of highways in low traffic situations to induce oversteer and then get on the throttle to correct things. It's easy, but I don't believe mere words can properly convey the technique--you have to feel it. And be aware that the dynamics will change as your tires wear at different rates.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
As an owner of various 911's for the past 40 years, I suggest every owner should find a way to actually experience just how their own 911 reacts when you lift. On a track is best, of course, but I would often use a "safe" cloverleaf off of highways in low traffic situations to induce oversteer and then get on the throttle to correct things. It's easy, but I don't believe mere words can properly convey the technique--you have to feel it. And be aware that the dynamics will change as your tires wear at different rates.
Empty parking lot in the rain is probably ideal.... hold a constant steering angle so that you make consistent circles. Increase speed until at limit of traction (car will start to understeer at this point) and keep driving in that circle... then lift suddenly. That rear end will swing out and you'll likely end up facing the other direction. Make sure you clutch in when you spin!

Then practice lifting to induce the skid, and when you feel the back end start to break get back on the throttle gently and settle her down, continuing in your circle.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Empty parking lot in the rain is probably ideal.... hold a constant steering angle so that you make consistent circles. Increase speed until at limit of traction (car will start to understeer at this point) and keep driving in that circle... then lift suddenly. That rear end will swing out and you'll likely end up facing the other direction. Make sure you clutch in when you spin!

Then practice lifting to induce the skid, and when you feel the back end start to break get back on the throttle gently and settle her down, continuing in your circle.

I had a very different experience on a wet down skid pad.

I would drive in 2nd gear, at the limit, and the front wheels were plowing.
When I lifted the throttle, the front gripped and the understeer stopped.
The car never once even remotely came close to spinning around.

In fact, to induce oversteer, the instructor has to yank up the e-brake when I lifted.
That is the only thing that made the rear lose grip and swing out (and then you would counter steer to "correct pause recover"
Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

To even remotely suggest someone should play with their car to learn its limits on a public road cloverleaf is insane.

Originally Posted by mk85911
Your car could have alignment, corner balance or tire issues that could cause excessive push.

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I had a very different experience on a wet down skid pad.

I would drive in 2nd gear, at the limit, and the front wheels were plowing.
When I lifted the throttle, the front gripped and the understeer stopped.
The car never once even remotely came close to spinning around.

In fact, to induce oversteer, the instructor has to yank up the e-brake when I lifted.
That is the only thing that made the rear lose grip and swing out (and then you would counter steer to "correct pause recover"

Quick Reply: "don't lift in the turn" question...