Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

79' SC (BV Car Club)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM
MoonyMade
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79' SC (BV Car Club)

Looking for a 911SC for the past week, I can't find anything. I don't want a concourse car. Nor do I want to start a project. I just want an average or "fair" 911sc. What do the price of "fair" SC go for? My budget stretches to $20k. I can push it 24k if its worth it. I am dreaming with my budget? or no?
Can I actually buy something and drive it right away?

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...rga-c-4067.htm

Found this at Beverly cars club, any body done business with them? 79 SC with a couple of body nicks and scratches. Interior is torn, but nothing to bad. The only mechanical details I know "Mechanically sound". What is that car worth? How do I know if these car clubs are trusted or not..

Can somebody get me started into where to look for a good 911SC? or even with my budget. would you recommend a 3.2L or another car?

Ambushing you guys with questions, sorry and thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you go look at it? If it weren't for the big dent it wouldn't be too bad a car for a driver.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Biggest thing I see there is that it appears to be a Euro car (small bumperettes and no catalytic converter). What's that mean? Most of these landed here in '86-'88 as 7-8-10 year old total POS cars that basically never came off redline from the day they left the factory. Then, they were wholesaled over here, EPA and DOT paperwork usually forged, and thrown into the used car quagmire. And nice shiny new, near-zero mile MPH speedos installed.

Wouldn't we say this was a $10K car two years ago?

I can't recommend buying at the bottom of the market anymore, unless you're into it as a labor of love and can do everything. And I mean everything down to paint.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 PM
MoonyMade
AutoX

No I did not look at it, I live too far too see it.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

What the?????

What are the extra holes in the door for?

....and I gotta say, that is the worst red paint job I have ever seen, and I painted my '64 Barracuda red in my driveway on a windy day when I was 16 years old.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
What the?????

What are the extra holes in the door for?
Someone did an "oops" on a right hand mirror install? (Were those standard ROW for the early SCs?)

Yes, I had a customer way back when who did a self install on the mirrors, lining them up same right and left.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by race911
Someone did an "oops" on a right hand mirror install? (Were those standard ROW for the early SCs?)

Yes, I had a customer way back when who did a self install on the mirrors, lining them up same right and left.
Right had drive door on a left had drive car. BRILLIANT

This car make the one in Hong Kong look fresh out of Stuttgart
Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 PM
MoonyMade
AutoX

Originally Posted by race911
Biggest thing I see there is that it appears to be a Euro car (small bumperettes and no catalytic converter). What's that mean? Most of these landed here in '86-'88 as 7-8-10 year old total POS cars that basically never came off redline from the day they left the factory. Then, they were wholesaled over here, EPA and DOT paperwork usually forged, and thrown into the used car quagmire. And nice shiny new, near-zero mile MPH speedos installed.

Wouldn't we say this was a $10K car two years ago?

I can't recommend buying at the bottom of the market anymore, unless you're into it as a labor of love and can do everything. And I mean everything down to paint.
Are you saying to stay away from euro spec cars?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:40 PM
MoonyMade
AutoX

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Right had drive door on a left had drive car. BRILLIANT

This car make the one in Hong Kong look fresh out of Stuttgart
Seems to me like already started to despise the car xD
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default 79' SC (BV Car Club)

from what i hear, bhcc cars are very rough...
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

First off, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

That said, You will need more details. The real vin# to see where it's from. The rear black rubber bumpers are from a ROW car but there are no signal repeaters on the front fenders. Car has been painted so maybe they were welded up.

Engine has had some services over time. Looks to have updated cam chain tensioners and some new oil return tubes.

Pan looks solid, suspension looks tired.

Frunk has been painted black and the wood work was a shock to see the first time!

If it was from a long time owner, ask for records and see what they have. Get the full vin and more pics of the vin and other stuff you are interested in. It looks a bit tatty but can be refurbished. If you are not a DIY mechanic, this could be a very expensive car to bring back to "nice" condition. These are very solid cars but can be quite expensive to rebuild things like the engine and trans.

Just my .002 since you asked!

Good luck
Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 PM
MoonyMade
AutoX

Originally Posted by jcslocum
First off, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

That said, You will need more details. The real vin# to see where it's from. The rear black rubber bumpers are from a ROW car but there are no signal repeaters on the front fenders. Car has been painted so maybe they were welded up.

Engine has had some services over time. Looks to have updated cam chain tensioners and some new oil return tubes.

Pan looks solid, suspension looks tired.

Frunk has been painted black and the wood work was a shock to see the first time!

If it was from a long time owner, ask for records and see what they have. Get the full vin and more pics of the vin and other stuff you are interested in. It looks a bit tatty but can be refurbished. If you are not a DIY mechanic, this could be a very expensive car to bring back to "nice" condition. These are very solid cars but can be quite expensive to rebuild things like the engine and trans.

Just my .002 since you asked!

Good luck
Perfect summary, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 79' SC (BV Car Club)