Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 PM
PeterRM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwest
Did you not read/follow the link..?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-c-system.html
Yes thanks, I did read it. That guy has removed the air duct to the rear blower fan to make room for the LHS electric fan.

I was hoping to mount the fans on top of the condenser (I have a whaletail) to maintain a reasonably stock appearance but that doesn't look possible at all.

I'll check the clearance on the RHS and see if I could run one larger, low profile fan only underneath.

Thanks
Peter
Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 PM
PeterRM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

78-88 A/C upgrading... THE place to start.... Zims condenser/fan kit that mounts in the front of the left rear fender well, somewhat out of the radiant heat emanating from the HOT engine/exhaust and the even HOTTER catalyst

$500.00

http://www.allzim.com/store/cart.php..._detail&p=1240
Willard,
For my next car - assuming there is another GFC on its way and they become affordable again - I agree a Zim's kit and delete the original front condenser and hose setup all together would be the way to go.

Thanks for posting the Zim's link as I had not seen these before.

Thanks
Peter
Old 06-14-2015, 01:57 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterRM
Yes thanks, I did read it. That guy has removed the air duct to the rear blower fan to make room for the LHS electric fan.

I was hoping to mount the fans on top of the condenser (I have a whaletail) to maintain a reasonably stock appearance but that doesn't look possible at all.

I'll check the clearance on the RHS and see if I could run one larger, low profile fan only underneath.

Thanks
Peter
'78 Targa, now history, had 2 spal pusher fans mounted under the whale tail. Fresno buyer happy with A/C performance.

WWESTED: The air duct was removed, and the blower modified, to increase airflow (~180 CFM) through the rear lid condenser. Long term plan is to use a 130dF thermostatic switch taped/insulated to the rear lid condenser inlet connections to power the blower and fans only as needed.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:02 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by PeterRM
Willard,
For my next car - assuming there is another GFC on its way and they become affordable again - I agree a Zim's kit and delete the original front condenser and hose setup all together would be the way to go.

Thanks for posting the Zim's link as I had not seen these before.

Thanks
Peter
I'm not totally convinced that removing the rear lid condenser isn't a better idea, radiant heat from the engine/exhaust considered.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 AM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

'78 Targa, now history, had 2 spal pusher fans mounted under the whale tail. Fresno buyer happy with A/C performance.

WWESTED: The air duct was removed, and the blower modified, to increase airflow (~180 CFM) through the rear lid condenser. Long term plan is to use a 130dF thermostatic switch taped/insulated to the rear lid condenser inlet connections to power the blower and fans only as needed.
Willard,
Would you put the temp sensor on the deck lid condenser inlet or outlet?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 PM
wwest
Drifting

Inlet seems more logical, widest temperature range/span.

Plus, placement wise, that's the logical equivalent of a trinary pressure switch.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:06 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Inlet seems more logical, widest temperature range/span.

Plus, placement wise, that's the logical equivalent of a trinary pressure switch.
Thanks, I just installed it on the compressor outlet, because it was easier to wire, and I think it should be the same as condenser inlet. I used connectors so I can change or eliminate easily.
Dave

Quick Reply: 87 coupe AC upgrade