Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche 911 2000 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015 | 11:47 AM
Paco216
5th Gear

Default Porsche 911 2000 will not start

Attempted to start 911 after winter storage with trickle charge. Would not start, then replaced battery with same result.

Lights, radio and steering wheel lock but nothing. With ignition key turned on there is a sound, possible the fuel pump, coming from the engine compartment; but the starter does not engage.

What areas should I investigate? Is there a possible fuse that might be associated with the starter? What could have failed simply by winter storage?

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Did you disabled the alarm? By engaging it and then disabling it again?

Make sure the ignition switch is good... those can go bad.

Is it really a 996 (2000 Porsche 911)? Clutch pedal must be pressed... or car needs to be in P or N to start if auto.

Give us more info...
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:18 PM
Paco216
5th Gear

Yes, it is a 996 Millennium and manual. The clutch is fully depressed while attempting to start.

Also able to lock and unlock the steering wheel.

I have changed the ignition switch before and this one is working fine.

Judging by your reply there is not a fuse issue.
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:26 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paco216
Yes, it is a 996 Millennium and manual. The clutch is fully depressed while attempting to start.

Also able to lock and unlock the steering wheel.

I have changed the ignition switch before and this one is working fine.

Judging by your reply there is not a fuse issue.
Do check the fuses... and also pull out and insert the relays. If the car has been sitting for awhile you could have surface corrosion on the fuses or relays that could be contributing to the situation. That is simple stuff that you can rule out as culprit.

You did not mentioned if you had recycled the alarm. That happened to me on my 996TT when the battery went dead... simple lock and unlock with the remote and it worked again...

BTW - Welcome to Rennlist!!

And there is a specific subforum for water cooled (996) cars. You will get more help there. Maybe the Admin can move this thread over.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/
Old 03-18-2015 | 01:22 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

I bet the starter solenoid is bad or starter locked up. When you turn the key to start, listen for one click. If you hear the click from the starter, your solenoid is good and the starter is locked up. Tapping with a hammer and extension while cranking should get it unstuck. If you hear no click when attempting to start, either the solenoid is bad or you have some type of electronic disruption going to the starter. (Fuses) or corosion on a wire terminal.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 2000 will not start