911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headlight washers

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:10 AM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 89', There is a separate motor which gets its fluid supply from the same reservoir as that of the windshield fluid. It is located in the spare tire well underneath the hood latch (just to the right of it).
Old 02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

This motor was just inside the boot, sort of in front of the battery and just along from where the jack sits.

If there is another one hidden in the spare tire well, then I have not seen it!

I will check, but I think the one you are talking about is what does the windshield too.

I have heard that the headlight wash motor is shared by the intensive screen washer motor?

cheers
Old 02-02-2004, 07:08 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)

I think you and I are talking about the exact same thing, just describing the location slightly differently.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:43 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 88 Carrera, there is a reservoir up under the hood above and to the left of the brake fluid reservoir. This cannister holds fluid for the headlight washers just like the main fluid reservoir does for the windshield wipers. If your system is like mine, there is a pump under the small reservioir. You have to remove the reservoir to get to it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:57 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Hi Spider,

Yes, I know of this one, I checked it with a multimeter, there is current going to it, when I press the switch. So I guess the motor is broken.

But, after I replace this, is it used when I press the button for the front lights to be washed (ie does this use the same motor and reservior??)

cheers
Old 02-04-2004, 02:56 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

I believe it does. I also thought my system was messed up, but I found I needed to turn on the lights before anything happened. I suggest you remove the motor and put it in a vise. Run wires from a 12V battery to the + and - connectors (bypasses the switch). If it does not turnover (i.e., run), then you have a bad motor. I think it is the same motor as the one used for the windshield system. VW and Audi use the same pumps so you might see what they have if there is a dealer close by. The lights have to be on for it to work. I'd start there if you haven't done so already.

Good luck.

36 years as a Porsche Club member.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:21 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Is there a book with good schematic of washer system. All this talk and I checked my 86' and no go. In fact, one of the lines is just hanging next to the battery and I don't see where it goes. I do see both the main reservoir and the unit next to my battery.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

I did some further research and found the windshild washer pump mounted down in front of the battery is not the same as the one mounted under the small reservoir for the headlight washing system. Sorry for any confusion. Tweeks has the original equipment part listed as P/N 402-096 at $74.99 plus shipping. It fits 74-94 911s, all you do is tell them the model, year, etc to get the right one for your car. Pelican Parts has one...P/N 191-955-681 for $60.75 plus shipping. Website is www.pelicanparts.com. There are other good companies out there, these are ones I use. No affiliation, just satisfied customer.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:18 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Thanks for the info. BUT.... where is the intensive screen wash motor, I think its the one underneath the white plastic reservoir (next to the brake fluid reservoir?), which on inspection I could not separate the motor from the reservoir... which sounds like the one you are using for the headlights (do the both use the same one, it would make sence. I havetake the wires out of the motor, used a multi-meter, pressed the intensive windshield wash button and there is current there, so I guess the motor is broke, BUT when I press the headlight washer button (with headlights on) there is no current going to these wires. So make your own conclusions, I can't! It COULD be the motor is dead, AND my headlight washer switch is broken.
I can't decide unless someone confirms the to things share the same motor!
cheers
Old 02-06-2004, 09:20 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

I have just been told that the headlight washer motor is a third motor, located under the wheel arch on the main reservoir, and it also takes the water from the main reservoir...
Who knows!!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:52 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Question

I have attached a picture, hopefully. The battery is out and this unit
is mounted right next to the battery area. What is it? This one is corroded
so I need a new one.

My headlamp and windshield wipers don't work, so I figure this is the culprit as one line has broken off. Both motors fire up when I push the buttons.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2004, 05:04 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

That one is definately the motor for the windscreenwasher (though whether it interacts in any way with the headlight washer I doubt)

I had a quick look under my wheel arch and there is some black electronic looking plastic stuff there, and, more importantly, a plastic tube the same as all the washer tubes NOT connected to anything, but runs back to the front of the car (or the headlights). This must be at least some of the problem!

Tomorrow I'll take the wheel off and have a good look underneath!
Old 02-06-2004, 05:18 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Yep, I ordered a new pump from Pelican. $30 It's for the windshield washer. My lines from the windshield and the headlamp washers seem to meet at a T- connection. I'll find out what works after I clean the area and install the new pump.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:03 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Forget the middle part of my previous post. When I looked up under the wheelarch, what I thought was electronic, was actually the housing for the petrol fill and water fill area. The loose washer cable I thought should connect to this, just runs back down the wheel arch (its tied to the rubber tube where the water goes when you re-fill) and just connects to a plastic screw top of the main water reservoir (I guess its just there to allow air at the top of the reservoir, to allow the water level to rise on re-fill?)
So, to sumarise, I still don't know where the motor is for the headlights (I still think it could be shared with the intensive one!)
When the headlights are on, I press the button for the headlight wash, I can hear a click everytime I press the button. The click is coming from a relay (928.618.111.00) which co-incidentally is right next to the main windscreen washer motor at fron near battery, but I'm pretty sure the two thinks are not related/connected. This relay, after looking at Pelican Parts, is the Headlight Washer Relay. I guess as it clicks, it does work. My handbook also says the headlight washer and normal windscreen washer share the same reservoir, but do they share the same motor, I don't think so!??)
I can't get any further unless I actually find the motor (if it has one separate from the rest), to see if it has blown...
Cheers
Old 02-29-2004, 11:35 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

I managed to get a good printout of the headlight washer schematics (!!) and after taking the front wheel off I reached through the wheelarch and had got my hand on the washer pump. Guess what? The electric lead was disconnected. Reconnected and with the headlights on they work again! Just as I was about to order a new pump too. They give out some amount of water. Are the nozzels adjustable, as most of the water went right over the car, but I guess when you use them when driving, the airflow puts most of the water onto the headlight? I don't know.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Headlight washers