Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911 S Jetronic Injection-HOT! HOT! HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:11 AM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 911 S Jetronic Injection-HOT! HOT! HOT!

What to do?! 27 years I have been waiting (yes another newbie) for this car! Only I am limited to driving it to the market and back... The car is awesume- problem is... IT RUNS HOT! Been reading many posts about overheating- you guys, and presumably gals are TopShelf! Thank you for being here!
So, what to do. There is no cooler up under the front right 'wing'- a new tstat is in the box ready to install. Is there a sure fire way to cool this engine down. help!
I have many Q's and surely many will follow as the days pass.

Health & Joy
Old 09-02-2003, 08:18 AM
timlooney
Instructor

What do you consider Hot?
How hard have you been driving it?
What type/amount of oil is in it?
What type of filter is in it?

1. Check the oil level make sure there is enough oil circulating in the system. The car should run normal in the stock configuration. Change the oil using a stock filter filling the oil half way up the stick. Checking it warm, running, and level.
2. Add a fender or front oil cooler if there is still a problem.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:05 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Thanks Tim
The oil is new, although I am unsure what brand or type- it appears yellowish with good viscosity and somewhat thin. The level is normal and running temp reaches 250 and beyond- so I DO NOT drive it far, keeping it under that temp. An external cooler is available where? I have had this dream for 25+ years to wrench on my own 911 so I THINK I can install a cooler on my own- any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark
Old 09-02-2003, 02:10 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark,

Are the fins of your engine clean on the top and bottom. To see the tops, you will need to remove the alternator/fan (a 10 minute job). Also, your cooler can be plugged with Black adobe. Cleaning this on the engine is very hard. You may need to (partially or fully) drop the engine to remove the cooler for cleaning. When I had my engine rebuilt, I was amazed my cooler was working at all due to the amount of junk on it. It now runs 20 degress cooler on my AutoX runs.

BTW, Where are you located?
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mark:

For certain, 250 deg F on the gauge is WAY too hot and this needs to be resolved ASAP! Stud pulling is very very close,.......

As Harry told you, cleanliness is next to godliness and thats one of the first things to work on. Here's a short list of things to check out very thoroughly:

1) Engine oil cooler must be very clean. Remember, oil coolers are heat exchangers and they must be clean enough to "exchange" with incoming air.

2) Engine mounted thermostat. These are failure prone over time. and will stick partially or completely closed.

3) Too high oil level. This is a VERY common mistake made by almost everyone. Always ignore the oil level gauge; its a "red herring". The dipstick is "gospel", and its only accurate with the engine at 180 deg F, on a very level surface, and after its been idling for 2-3 minutes.

4) Incorrect ignition advance. Too little or too much advance makes the engine run hot. Its got to be spot on. Check the distrbutor with a timing light and make sure the advance weights and vacuum can are functioning properly.

5) Too lean a fuel mixture. Using a 4-gas or 5-gas combustion analyzer, set the idle CO to 2.5%.

6) Faulty air injection. You will remove this and install the SSI's so this will not be an issue, anymore,...

Let me know if this helps,

Quick Reply: 1976 911 S Jetronic Injection-HOT! HOT! HOT!