Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

targa paint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:35 AM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default targa paint question

I am planning to repaint the arch on my 82 911SC. What color is stock(gloss, flat..?) and were the "targa" imprints the same color or a different color?
Thanks.
ccoleymd@yahoo.com
Old 08-31-2003, 06:58 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think stock cars have black badges same as the Targa shroud. Polished stainless shrouds had matching badges too. I've seen custom cars with a black shroud and a red badge , it didn't look too bad although I thought stock was better. I repainted my Targa roll bar shroud (remove it, don't mask round it) with a black silk finish added to the factory satin finish. It came out looking gorgeous. If you look at picture 6 in my rennlist gallery
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup45/
you can see the effect.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:26 PM
jim912928
Racer

I have an 80SC Targa and the bar has always been more flat (slight sheen..definitely not shiny). I just had it repainted in more of a matte black. The targa emblem was always a dull silverish color. I left it like that because I like the contrast with the seal grey body (just got it back from the body shop!).
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2003, 09:37 AM
bones
Instructor

Looks cool Jim , Ilike that a lot
Old 09-01-2003, 09:58 AM
jim912928
Racer

Thanks, it's been alot of fun work. Now I just have to get the interior in it!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:25 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

How do I remove the shroud?
Both of your cars look good!
Chris
Old 09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
bones
Instructor

Use your digital camera to help you remember where things go. I suggest you get a second person to help you as the shroud is an unweildy sucker with a mind of it's own! Jack up the rear of the car and preferably take off the wheels, although once the wheels are dangling as low as they can you can reach up into the front of the rear wheel arches and find the two (per side) main retaining bolts for the shroud. They are located into the front of the rear wing right where the shroud sits on the body. Feel up in there you will find them. Mine unfastened very easily but if they are stuck don't 'go for it" and snap them off , you will regret it. Apply loads of your favourite penetrating agent and wait a while. When you have them undone you need to unstick the front seals , basically just peel them off as best as you can, behind the front seal you will find a row of grub screws holding the shroud to the roll bar, again lubricate these and order some new ones and the large plastic buttons if you have them on your car (looks nice when you put it all back together). Remove all these and the shroud is almost free. Finally the rear screen seal can be a pain to get back on , so note exactly how it looks and where things go, there are also two sliding devices(don't know what they are called) that fit on the end of the trim that goes around the entire lower rear screen. These may need to be moved to fit the rear trim
back on so again note exactly where they are.
Take extra care when putting it all back together as it is too easy to mark your beautifully newly painted shroud , trust me I know, even a zip on a jacket is your enemy.
I found the rear seal difficult but just persevered till it fitted right.
PS replace the old foam on the roll bar it helps stop rattles etc.
Good luck post some pics.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:18 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris-
I took the easier root - I left the shroud in place and masked all around and then covered the rest of the car to protect against overspray. I rubbed the shroud down with mineral spirts to remove any wax, etc., then I used Wurth's Satin. I wanted a slight sheen, not a gloss and definitely didn't want it flat. IMHO, it came out great - most defiinitely MUCH nicer than the tired, flat look it had after 17+ years.

I think you need to let it dry/cure for 30 days, then you can wax it to protect the paint.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.

Quick Reply: targa paint question