Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KDRGibby
Oliver's modified 78 SC is back up for sale $27k now

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911sc.html

Previous posts suggests he had some issues and couldn't find a good mechanic to tune the Haltech. I'm a bit concerned about finding a mechanic to help with that engine... but it sure looks like a blast.
Offer low $20's. For that much money you get a rust free, running, complete car and a title.
Cant go wrong.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I disregarded conventional wisdom...

KDRGibby,

A little over a year ago, I was in your shoes - looking for a SC or a 3.2. I was scouring ads here, at the Bird, local and PCA listings, everywhere. After a few PPIs and some cars that I decided against, I received advice from multiple RL posters to contact a guy who might be interested in selling his SC.

I didn't want a red car - my 82 SC is Guard's Red (with black leather Sport Seats that show wear - I can't see the wear when I am sitting in the car).

I didn't want a tail - my SC has a front spoiler and Carrera tail.

I wanted reasonable mileage - my SC has over 204,000 miles on it.

I wanted a complete mechanical history - I got what had been done to the car since the seller had bought the car.

I wanted to get a PPI because I had read Pete Zimmermann's book and sticky about PPIs - I didn't because the guy I bought the car from was an expert in Porsche maintenance, and his honesty was vouched for by RL posters whose postings indicated their honesty and knowledge.

I wanted to see the car before buying it - first time I saw the car was sitting by the Intercity hauler.

I don't trust cars on E-Bay or in CL - I bought this car from E-Bay and sold a great E36 through CL over two years ago to a guy who loves that car.

When I was originally interested in the car I bought, the seller and I hit it off when I contacted him. We communicated frequently and agreed on a price that we both thought was fair, based on the seller, the market and what I had learned here and at PP. When I hit a glitch in my work (slow contracts), I had to back out. He was gracious and I was bummed. A couple of months later, work was back on track, so I contacted the seller and he says car is on E Bay. When I looked, the current bid was below what I had agreed to. I entered the price that we had agreed to and I "won." Some will say that $22k was too much for the car, but that is what I said I'd pay, so I did. I love the car, it pulls like a mule, it still smells good (old leather, oil, gas), and I am happy and I hope Pete Zimmermann and I stay friends for a long time.

There are many pitfalls in buying one of these cars. I am not an investor in cars - I am a buy high, sell low guy historically, so my input is worth what you paid for it. But my cars have made me happy overall (even the 64 Corvair with stick shift). Good luck and don't let conventional wisdom keep you from exploring all options.

Sam
Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

I've had to change a lot of my assumptions too. When I first started looking over a year ago, I originally went for the 993 because I thought that it was the ugliest air-cooled and would therefore be the cheapest... ha!

Still, things like "10 year old tires" and not having been registered for 4 years remain red flags for me.

Like you, I'm not a collector. I'm just an average joe wanting to get his dream car (and a little disappointed the market took off the same time I realized I could afford one).

Great points, great read. thank you!

PS, the 993 is still the ugliest of the air-cooled 911s.... and I'd still get one if I could...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I've had to change a lot of my assumptions too. When I first started looking over a year ago, I originally went for the 993 because I thought that it was the ugliest air-cooled and would therefore be the cheapest... ha!

Still, things like "10 year old tires" and not having been registered for 4 years remain red flags for me.

Like you, I'm not a collector. I'm just an average joe wanting to get his dream car (and a little disappointed the market took off the same time I realized I could afford one).

Great points, great read. thank you!

PS, the 993 is still the ugliest of the air-cooled 911s.... and I'd still get one if I could...
funny cause i thought the same of the impact bumper cars... but id still get one if i could..
Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Few pieces of advice:
1. Don't get hung up on what nice cars sold for one- two years ago, unless you have access to a time machine nothing you can do about that.
2. Be patient right car will come along - I wouldn't chase after " deals" because you'll be competing with a 100 other folks that will just write a check and hope for the best.
3. Figure out what you want and shop hard.

Good Luck!

Phil
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Few pieces of advice:
1. Don't get hung up on what nice cars sold for one- two years ago, unless you have access to a time machine nothing you can do about that.
2. Be patient right car will come along - I wouldn't chase after " deals" because you'll be competing with a 100 other folks that will just write a check and hope for the best.
3. Figure out what you want and shop hard.

Good Luck!

Phil
I'm more kicking myself in the pants for not getting a lovely blue 79 for $24k last year... or the 964 for $31k. I've adjusted my willingness to pay with the times...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Is this a sticker? http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7188/overview/
How difficult would it be to peel that off?

and what are those wheels?
Those look like the old "phone dial" wheels that I believe came on the 928 and maybe some 944's.

At this point your search seems to be casting a pretty wide net and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Not as much out there due to the time of year but I bet we'll be seeing more inventory come on the market in the next couple months. What exactly are you looking for and at what price?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Originally Posted by wportervt

At this point your search seems to be casting a pretty wide net and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Not as much out there due to the time of year but I bet we'll be seeing more inventory come on the market in the next couple months. What exactly are you looking for and at what price?
Looking for a SC, hopefully in the mid 20s, though I'm talking with a local guy this weekend with a 1988 911 w 245,000 miles. A low-mileage 82 with every goodie I want also just came on the radar (also local) and we talked this week and agreed on a price. Now I have to arrange for the PPI.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM
wportervt
Advanced

Sounds like you're getting close! Let us know how the inspection goes and good luck!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wportervt
Those look like the old "phone dial" wheels that I believe came on the 928 and maybe some 944's.
Phone dials were also the "standard" wheel on early 3.2 911's. Those wheels are painted in a non-standard pattern if they are phone dials.

Or are they cookie cutters?

Last edited by The Brewmeister; 03-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:27 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 86 911 pricing

Looking at this car. Can anyone give me a starting point of what would be a fair purchase?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  98.2 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  94.7 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 04:29 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member