Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 wiper stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM
737Aviator
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 wiper stop

I have a 1980 911sc euro version. Both my front and rear wipers stop in location when the wiper is turned off and do not park. Is this handled via a relay or internally in the motor?
In addition the intermitent function does not work. Any ideas where repairs need to be made?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 AM
mo-mon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most probably the problem is in the wiper switch. You will have to take out the steering wheel to access the switch. There are a few threads on pelican on how to fix the problem(s). The problems are related.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:26 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 737Aviator
I have a 1980 911sc euro version. Both my front and rear wipers stop in location when the wiper is turned off and do not park. Is this handled via a relay or internally in the motor?
In addition the intermitent function does not work. Any ideas where repairs need to be made?

Thanks
Internal to the wiper motor gearbox...

The wiper motor has 2 power inputs, one from the switch and one unswitched. The switched power is used ONLY to move the motor off of the home/park position, the unswitched power supplies the power for ~340 degrees of positional rotation.

Turn off the switched power and the motor will continue to be powered until it reaches home/park.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

If you gently push up on the wiper lever, do the wipers park?

I fixed this years ago on my 1979. If I remember, there are several reed switches in the wiper switch, and there is a plastic cam that closes a reed switch when the wiper lever is turned to "off". In my case, that plastic cam was worn, and was not closing the reeds. I just glued another small piece of plastic to the cam so it would completely close the reed switch.

Not only won't the wipers park with that particular reed switch open, the intermittent feature won't work either.

I was able to fix this by just taking off the plastic covers on the steering column to access the wiper switch. Can't remember if I took the wheel off too, but I don't think so. You should be able to see what is happening in the wiper switch when you move the lever, and also see exactly where the cam is not pressing on the reed switch.

Mark

Quick Reply: 911 wiper stop