Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pulsing during cruise and acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 09:33 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing during cruise and acceleration?

My '85 3.2L, for lack of a better description, "pulses" when accelerating. By "pulsing," I mean it feels like someone is turning a switch back and forth, resulting in slight power variations. I also notice that while cruising, I get the same effect, like someone turning a light dimmer and brighter.

Could this be the head temp sensor? Other?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM
art
Pro

Look at the 944 board for info on this. Apparently the airflow sensor wears and can cause this. There is a fix where you bend the contacts where they rub over the variable resistive surface so that they contact in a new path that is not worn. I have not tried it yet, but plan to. My 944 has the same problem as you describe.

Art
Old 08-27-2003, 02:27 PM
purrybonker
Pro

This seems to be a common 3.2 theme - check out the same conversation theme (or minor variations) a few times over on Pelican.

I have been chasing the same issue on mine for a little while - in my case it tends to be more of a minor irritation than a serious performance issue. I'm down to swapping out (or recalibrating) my MAF sensor (I have an Autothority MAF/Chip) after trying what I thought was everything else.

Today there is an interesting string on this topic with a different kinda solution suggestion from ruf-porsche (check out "stumbling at low rpms- '88 3.2 carerra" under the 911 technical forum). This guy points a finger at the possible failure of a "vacuum dampener". Whatever the heck that is...

Quick Reply: Pulsing during cruise and acceleration?