Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just bought a 83 SC....Questions and help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 83 SC....Questions and help needed!

Hi there everyone.

I am new to the Rennlist and just bought a 1983 Porsche SC. Although I have driven lots of 911's over the years from new to old, this is the first one I have owned. I bought the car off of a Dealer friend of mine in Bloomfield Hills, MI. There is not much history on the car and I am a little unsure how original it is. Seems to be pretty original from what I can tell. Drives fantastic, just needs a bit of TLC on the cosmetic side. Here are a few pictures of the car.

If you guys see anything that looks totally wrong or out of place Please let me know.

Excited to post more often on here, and glad to be part of the Porsche family.

Jonathan

Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Fuse box, looks like one of the Fuses are missing any thoughts to what it is linked to?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Looks like its missing the Tags that specify the options. No idea why these would be missing?? Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks good, seems pretty clean too.
Looks stock to me but I'm not sure about that whale tail...I've no real knowledge about right/wrong on that issue.
I've an '83 also and other than not knowing about the Tail it looks stock to me.
Nice car.
What is the mileage and did you have a PPI done to it?
BTW, having an unused relay position in your fuse box is common.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats-looks in good enough shape to have a solid start. The tag could be missing due to a repaint or repair.

The tail is a Turbo tail, not correct for the car. A "Carrera" tail would be more appropriate....although I'm fond of ducks....
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

On a 1986, the #2 fuse says AC/Booster Fan/Electric seats
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by Reiver
Looks good, seems pretty clean too.
Looks stock to me but I'm not sure about that whale tail...I've no real knowledge about right/wrong on that issue.
I've an '83 also and other than not knowing about the Tail it looks stock to me.
Nice car.
What is the mileage and did you have a PPI done to it?
BTW, having an unused relay position in your fuse box is common.
Thanks, didn't have a PPI done on the car, but it was just serviced by the local Porsche Dealer. Spoke to the tech on the phone and he said the car is solid. it has 83,500 miles on it so it has seen some road.

Seems like there was a large wing as an option on the 83 cars, but not sure if this is it or if this is a turbo wing. They are very similar and its hard to tell the difference. Either way i am going to take it off. Its far to large for my liking. Also not a fan of the rims, going to look for the optional 16 inch wheel wheel.

Does anyone know how easy it is to Lower the Car?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan_btwl
Thanks, didn't have a PPI done on the car, but it was just serviced by the local Porsche Dealer. Spoke to the tech on the phone and he said the car is solid. it has 83,500 miles on it so it has seen some road.

Seems like there was a large wing as an option on the 83 cars, but not sure if this is it or if this is a turbo wing. They are very similar and its hard to tell the difference. Either way i am going to take it off. Its far to large for my liking. Also not a fan of the rims, going to look for the optional 16 inch wheel wheel.

Does anyone know how easy it is to Lower the Car?
As I noted above, that is a Turbo tail-they do look different than the Carrera tail. The 3 sides of yours turn up, only the rear edge swoops up on the Carrera tail. The Carrera tail is what would apply to your car....and they look better, IMO.

It appears you have Fuchs, which would be the desired wheel on the car. Looks like someone upgraded to the wider option, again quite desirable. If you don't like the classic finish with the polished petals, you could refinish the centers to all black, which would have been standard in 83.

Be careful on using Porsche dealers. Few have any techs that know much about older air-cooled 911's these days, and can do more harm than good. Even on simple things like oil changes....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by sugarwood
On a 1986, the #2 fuse says AC/Booster Fan/Electric seats
Thanks, def doesn't have electric seats, still need to test the AC. Thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
As I noted above, that is a Turbo tail-they do look different than the Carrera tail. The 3 sides of yours turn up, only the rear edge swoops up on the Carrera tail. The Carrera tail is what would apply to your car....and they look better, IMO.

It appears you have Fuchs, which would be the desired wheel on the car. Looks like someone upgraded to the wider option, again quite desirable. If you don't like the classic finish with the polished petals, you could refinish the centers to all black, which would have been standard in 83.

Be careful on using Porsche dealers. Few have any techs that know much about older air-cooled 911's these days, and can do more harm than good. Even on simple things like oil changes....
Thanks Ed, Yeah I thought the tail looked a bit out of place. Going to look at removing it this weekend and going with the cleaner no wing look. Lets hope the seal hasn't damaged the paint underneath too much. The tech at the local Porsche dealer is a good friend of mine and the guy who I bought the car off of. He does a lot of work on Air cooled cars at work and at home. Owns a few himself. So thankfully he can be a good source. Guess I got lucky. The wheels are lovely, going to hold on to them in case I need to revert the car to stock before selling. Just like the stance and look of the 16 inch optional wheel better.

Thanks so much for the help on the wing!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan_btwl
Thanks Ed, Yeah I thought the tail looked a bit out of place. Going to look at removing it this weekend and going with the cleaner no wing look. Lets hope the seal hasn't damaged the paint underneath too much. The tech at the local Porsche dealer is a good friend of mine and the guy who I bought the car off of. He does a lot of work on Air cooled cars at work and at home. Owns a few himself. So thankfully he can be a good source. Guess I got lucky. The wheels are lovely, going to hold on to them in case I need to revert the car to stock before selling. Just like the stance and look of the 16 inch optional wheel better.

Thanks so much for the help on the wing!
Don't remove the tail, until you get a replacement of some sort. There are holes in your engine lid that will be eyesores with the tail removed.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Don't remove the tail, until you get a replacement of some sort. There are holes in your engine lid that will be eyesores with the tail removed.
i agree

buy a decklid and grill and paint to match , Take your turbo tail off in one piece and put it up on a shelf.

The fuel pump relay should be a red one. Double check that . Also looks like the fse is not missing , it was just rewired and goes to a seperate fuse conector.
I would try and make it original again , but thats just me , a lot of people upgrade the whole fuse bank to a more modern design. Someone makes them over on Pelican.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

As stated find a good indy Porsche shop that specializes in the AC cars.
I am guessing that our Fuchs are 15's and you want 16's. You should have no trouble selling the 15's with that finish as they are sought after by early car owners.
Drive the car before you start any mods, get comfortable with it.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts

That's a great looking car. I really like your 15" fuchs. I personally think they look better than the 16s as you can put more tire on them - which looks more aggressive IMHO. The only issue with 15" is finding tires.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Hi Jonathan. Great looking car. Congrats. No experience lowering car (yet), but it's on the to do list. BTW, I'm over in Windsor, so we'll have to do a ride this spring. In case you're looking, I've been to Howard Gilson's shop in Troy. Really good guy. I think he's VP of SE Mich PCA too. Paul

My 2014 find. Been keeping me busy...

Quick Reply: Just bought a 83 SC....Questions and help needed!