Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just bought a 83 SC....Questions and help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul...Love that Blue color. Thanks for the Tip on the Troy shop. I will look into it. The car will stay in Michigan all year in Storage until i return from my work Assignment in Germany in September. Maybe we can get one last cruise in before the next winter sets in! What head lamps are those on your car. Need to replace my funny looking ones. Keep in touch.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by 1stgear
That's a great looking car. I really like your 15" fuchs. I personally think they look better than the 16s as you can put more tire on them - which looks more aggressive IMHO. The only issue with 15" is finding tires.

Yeah the wheels are lovely and in great condition. Might just hold on to them and put them on display in the Garage. I just like the look of the 16's with the black appearance. Think they work better with the huge bumpers. They are also wrapped with some horrible Kelly Chargers... No idea how they perform. Love you car. Seems like we have similar taste in color....
Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
i agree

buy a decklid and grill and paint to match , Take your turbo tail off in one piece and put it up on a shelf.

The fuel pump relay should be a red one. Double check that . Also looks like the fse is not missing , it was just rewired and goes to a seperate fuse conector.
I would try and make it original again , but thats just me , a lot of people upgrade the whole fuse bank to a more modern design. Someone makes them over on Pelican.
Thanks now just need to start the hunt for a deck lid sans spoiler...And a good painter.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Originally Posted by Reiver
As stated find a good indy Porsche shop that specializes in the AC cars.
I am guessing that our Fuchs are 15's and you want 16's. You should have no trouble selling the 15's with that finish as they are sought after by early car owners.
Drive the car before you start any mods, get comfortable with it.
Been driving the car for the last 3 Days!! Love it! You would never know it is 32 years old. Its solid as a rock. Not planning on doing any of these Mods until I return home to Michigan in September, just going to start collecting the items and knowledge I need t make the car Perfect...Thanks for the tip on the wheels.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Any one know what that Red Light is for?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Any ideas what that might of been?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Hey Jonathan,

Try this http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...83_KATALOG.pdf

The parts katalog for my car helped me a ton. Not sure what the light is, but I'd guess the latter pic is a holder for a cell phone antenna.

I believe my headlights are the Bosch H4 lights, but haven't looked into this too much. Enjoy Europe. And for sure, we'll go for a tour when you get back.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Jonathan...pm me your email and I'll send you the factory maint/tech. book on all '83 911 SC's..it is in PDF form.

That rear window connection could be a Miami Vice 80's telephone ant. or a partial 3rd brake light...I'm guessing #1.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Cell phone antenna. Looks like the Coax is in situ still, probably snakes to the console or dash.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The red light is the Oxygen Sensor light. I lights up when the O2 sensor needs replacing (mileage based).

The thing on the rear window is an 80's vintage cell phone antenna. You can remove it without incident. Just be sure not to scrape the rear window defroster lines when cleaning the adhesive from the antenna
Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Looks good, seems pretty clean too.
Looks stock to me but I'm not sure about that whale tail...I've no real knowledge about right/wrong on that issue.
Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Congrats-looks in good enough shape to have a solid start. The tag could be missing due to a repaint or repair.

The tail is a Turbo tail, not correct for the car. A "Carrera" tail would be more appropriate....although I'm fond of ducks....
Tea tray style, or Turbo as Ed notes. This style was used on the SC body for at least a few years, more so than the Carrera style whale tail, so it is most likely "correct".
Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_btwl

Any one know what that Red Light is for?
indicator that oxygen sensor relay need replacing ?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
Tea tray style, or Turbo as Ed notes. This style was used on the SC body for at least a few years, more so than the Carrera style whale tail, so it is most likely "correct".
not true.....
this is a widebody tail used on turbo only by porsche .

sc and Carrera had there own tail. this would have been added afterwards.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
not true.....
this is a widebody tail used on turbo only by porsche .

sc and Carrera had there own tail. this would have been added afterwards.
Based on what? The SC and Carrera tails are different. The fact is a few different tails were available on the SC. However, the most seen tail was the tea tray, exactly like the one on the original poster's car. Perhaps you should go do more research on the topic. I'd hate the OP to remove what is likely an original tail just because a bunch of internet yahoos told him it wasn't original.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
Based on what? The SC and Carrera tails are different. The fact is a few different tails were available on the SC. However, the most seen tail was the tea tray, exactly like the one on the original poster's car. Perhaps you should go do more research on the topic. I'd hate the OP to remove what is likely an original tail just because a bunch of internet yahoos told him it wasn't original.
And, in the end-you're a yahoo too, based on that definition.

He's the one who said he wasn't a fan of the tail. If you'll read, it's been counseled that if he wants to remove it, get another lid ready, and to hang on to the tail.

Most would say that the tea tray doesn't look good on NB cars.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 83 SC....Questions and help needed!