Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you think of this '83 SC Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Looks like the 83 Coupe has a new owner. I had a feeling it would not last long. Went to a Pelicanite in OR. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...w-porsche.html
Yup that's the one. The seller did tell me it was no longer on sale when I asked a couple of days ago. Guess it wasn't such a bad deal even with the markup. Plus I live 4 miles away from that seller.

Oh well, there'll be another one I'm sure.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:08 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Only 24 78-89 911's in the US listed on Auto Trader Classics for $30K or less.

About 1/2 by the flipper Beverly Hills.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...tionId=1496674
Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

83 Targa on Long Island

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...tionId=1496674

Claims to have repaint and engine rebuild.

Later year power sport seats
AC is removed
Heater hose is connected to...nothing.

I like how they took the photos with the white backround.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...tionId=1496674

Meanwhile they have a VW Squareback for $22K ???

http://www.exoticclassics.com/1972-v...ke=Volkswagen&
Old 01-02-2015, 03:53 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Yup that's the one. The seller did tell me it was no longer on sale when I asked a couple of days ago. Guess it wasn't such a bad deal even with the markup. Plus I live 4 miles away from that seller.

Oh well, there'll be another one I'm sure.
I thought the price was pretty fair considering it was a coupe with less than 100k miles. When we're reading this in a year from now, $27k may look a bargain. Lots of guys saying it was a $21,000 car, but I'm sorry, unless you are in the right place at the right time, that gets you a high mileage driver these days.

Originally Posted by JCP911S
My prejudices are showing, so apologies up front, but I wouldn't buy a used toaster from somebody on Craigslist...

Unfortunately, the rapid value rise on these SC/Carraras is bringing all the scumbags out of the woodwork.

Fortunately, there are still lots of these cars in the hands of legitimate, enthusiast owners who know where to advertise (Excellence, Pelican, Pano, etc). Also word of mouth in the local PCA club can yield nice cars for sale.
I've come across many good cars on craigslist, sold by loving enthusiasts. Buyers would be a fool to rule it out. One of the SC's listed in this thread was being sold by the original owner. What more could you want?? Half the cars on Pelican and the "enthusiast" sites are probably on craigslist. Do your own due diligence, same as any purchase, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
My prejudices are showing, so apologies up front, but I wouldn't buy a used toaster from somebody on Craigslist...

Unfortunately, the rapid value rise on these SC/Carraras is bringing all the scumbags out of the woodwork.

Fortunately, there are still lots of these cars in the hands of legitimate, enthusiast owners who know where to advertise (Excellence, Pelican, Pano, etc). Also word of mouth in the local PCA club can yield nice cars for sale.

There are no "bargains" anymore. Feral Porsches can be money-pit nightmares. You can quickly drop $5K into a sh*tbox, and still have a sh*tbox

If you want one of these cars, spend the time and premium dollar to buy a well documented car from a long-term private owner. You won't be sorry.

Sound advice, the old saying if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Even with a good car with extensive records, remember it is still an old car so expect to have at least one costly surprise and budget for it. Good luck and you will find the right car.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick im right in your area, bay ridge, havent seen many good air cooled 911 around here for sale.

First car is nice or looks nice, its worth 20-21k
Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Bleek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason why people say to get the best you can afford. At this price point, I don't think this is the best you can get. Does'n't look like a bad car, just think you could do better, just be patient.

As mentioned previously regarding the sh*tbox, bad or good, pristine or not, they cost the same to fix. With a clean car, you have a better chance of getting back some of what you put in if you end up selling.

Don't sweat dealer flips. These cars have gone up, and that's just economics. If one shows up at a dealer that's the right one, go for it. Just get a proper ppi.

I'm in the same boat looking for a different p car and I'm gonna keep checking private party sales by enthusiasts and get a cared for car.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats right on good advice, honestly every car I've bought off a forum from an enthusiast I've been extremely happy with

Quick Reply: What do you think of this '83 SC Coupe