Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 in a garage for 24 years...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Hunt-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 in a garage for 24 years...

Hi all! My first post and I'm not much of a gear head but I need some advice. I have a neighbor who has had a 1986 911 sitting in the garage since 1991. I want to buy it and fix it up right. Hasn't been run. It has just under 5k miles. I don't see any rust, except some white corrosion on the metal that supports the convertible top. Body and interior look spectacular.

So not running or having been driven in 25 years, I'm expecting to overhaul the motor, new clutch, new hoses, rebuild all of the brakes, new battery, tires, possible electrical problems. Then I expect something major to fail in the first year. Is that about right or might I get lucky on a car that has sat this long?

I've looked up the VIN and get: Cabriolet, 3165cc 200hp, 911, 1986 made in Stutgart Germany.

Sorry the pics are not too good. Garage was cramped and dark. The glove box and front hood were locked. I didn't see any sign of rodents but didn't look hard.

I'm hot for this car because my dad had an orange 911 T and a green 356c when I was growing up and I'd love to own a sweet old Porsche.... Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Hunt-man; 12-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the motor will be fine but fuel system will need cleaning. all hoses need replacing, rotors it seems. What a story! good luck.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice find!!

Looks like a Targa, not a Cabriolet.

Christian spelled it out very nicely and I'd add belts, replace those old P7's, clutch slave cylinder, complete tuneup and perhaps a caliper overhaul. The clutch may be sticking, but thats another story.

Do a leakdown test once its running to see what condition the engine is in and be very picky about the oil you use.

Good luck with the project; these are GREAT cars.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Hunt-man
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys. Any guess on what I should budget for the work to get it going? I want to make a fair offer for the car and need to settle on that. So, is this $10K worth or work or what is the rough guess?

Steve... I see you are in PDX! Maybe we can do some business if this works out.

The back story on the car: Husband ran off with his secretary and left the car behind. I've know it was there since 2001 but never got the opportunity to pull the cover off and look at it and the ex had no interest in selling. The body and interior are 10's. I'm just really nervous about it not running for all those years. It will be towed to a mechanic for starters, no doubt.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I picked up a 1974 911 2 months ago , the car had been parked for 14 years the car has 78kmiles and it was a 2 owner car , brought it home and I empty all the fuel from the gas tank , changed engine and tranny oil , put new fuel filters , fuel pump and some new fuel lines , bleed the brakes and a new battery , try to start the car and NO luck ,we chained it up to my picked up and pulled it until the car cranked , smoked white smoke for about 10 minutes and that was it , the car is running now and the car rides smooth , I'm going to install new plugs , wires , distributor cap and rotor and she should be ready to go ..
NO need to over haul the engine
Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Hunt-man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Opo
I picked up a 1974 911 2 months ago , the car had been parked for 14 years the car has 78kmiles and it was a 2 owner car , brought it home and I empty all the fuel from the gas tank , changed engine and tranny oil , put new fuel filters , fuel pump and some new fuel lines , bleed the brakes and a new battery , try to start the car and NO luck ,we chained it up to my picked up and pulled it until the car cranked , smoked white smoke for about 10 minutes and that was it , the car is running now and the car rides smooth , I'm going to install new plugs , wires , distributor cap and rotor and she should be ready to go ..
NO need to over haul the engine
I like the sound of that. I was thinking total rebuild with a clutch etc. I can do some of that work myself but I was really planning to just pay to have it done. Would be a fun project. I haven't worked on cars, in a serious fashion, in years.... I did overhaul a 70's VW once a long long time ago....

Allrighty, I joined the forum as a member.... Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:39 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If you need a great shop to get this car going for you, I'd highly recommend Marque Motors. Talk to Kurt and tell him I sent you.

We focus on performance-enhancements of all kinds, leaving the general maintenance tasks to others like Kurt. When/if you want to make the car handle better, accelerate faster, I'm your man.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sound of a clutch disc un-sticking is one of the scariest yet most satisfying sounds in the automotive world.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice find.

Btw, Opo's car is spectacular.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunt-man

The money shot!

Great find and good luck with the restoration work. This looks like a great starting point.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall looks like you found a clean gem there. Snag that bad boy and bring it back on the road! You can very easily hit $10k depending on how much replacement/overhauling you want to do. But I'd just start with belts/water pump, tune up, fuel system, all fluids and go from there.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Hunt-man
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the help. I just bought the car. It will be a few weeks before I can get the project started. I will take lots of pictures and post an update soon.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Great, and nice find. Keep us posted on your progress bringing it back alive.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:40 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Congrats on the find !
Looks like you have a winner in the making. From a budget prespective I would allocate $10K-$15K. You might not need that amount, but for a car that has been sitting that long there could be a long list of potential issues. Just the tires alone will cost you over $1,000.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Car looks great. Congratulations. I lucked out this year too and know your excitement. The guys on this site have been a lot of help. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 911 in a garage for 24 years...