Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to do a spark plug and fuel filter change this month, should I be concerned with the fuel accumulator? I'd like to save the most expensive fixes for last, if the minor fixes don't resolve the issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember to use the spark plug wrench provided by Porsche. It should be in a tool kit nestled up against or in front of your spare tire. The shape of one of the heads (don't recall if #1 or #6) makes it near impossible to pull the plug out when it is in a conventional wrench.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Remember to use the spark plug wrench provided by Porsche. It should be in a tool kit nestled up against or in front of your spare tire. The shape of one of the heads (don't recall if #1 or #6) makes it near impossible to pull the plug out when it is in a conventional wrench.
Can I not use a regular sprocket for the job? I did so on my 944 and there wasn't any issues. I used a 13/16 spark plug socket and assumed that would be fine.

I have the original toolkit that looks like it's never been used, but I thought that I wasn't supposed to use it as it was valuable or something.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

you can use whatever you want. it just is akward to get to. the porsche o e is designed nicely for this
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's put it this way..... I have 32 sets of metric sockets in the top drawer of my 54" toolbox. I have at least a half dozen spark plug sockets from makers like Snap On, Blackhawk, Craftsman, Mac, Hazet, Williams......and none of them will extract that one plug. They make it in and can loosen it, but the shape and wall thickness is a bit too thick to worm it out.

The factory tool kit is there to be used. Well, at least the spark plug socket and the alternator pully wrenches are.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Let's put it this way..... I have 32 sets of metric sockets in the top drawer of my 54" toolbox. I have at least a half dozen spark plug sockets from makers like Snap On, Blackhawk, Craftsman, Mac, Hazet, Williams......and none of them will extract that one plug. They make it in and can loosen it, but the shape and wall thickness is a bit too thick to worm it out. The factory tool kit is there to be used. Well, at least the spark plug socket and the alternator pully wrenches are.
That's about the only two I use also. I do use the Allen key on the spark plug wrench too when I'm too lazy to get my other one.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Also, what's the gap size for these cars, I haven't found it anywhere?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You may be able to use a regular spark plug socket (different ones may have different thicknesses), but like Amber and Ice say, the Porsche tool is far superior and designed for this particular application. With a regular socket being tight as Amber mentioned, you will likely have the extension you added to the socket pull out leaving the socket and plug still in the engine. I think it was cylinder 6 that was the tricky one... but my car is an '86 so it may be different.

If you don't have the Porsche tool, JB weld your extension (3-4" extension, not bigger or you won't have room in the engine bay to pull it out) to the spark plug socket. This way when you pull it out of the tight space it won't leave the socket behind. It is now your 911 spark plug tool! Having said that, if it's really tight, then your socket is too large in diameter and you shouldn't force it. Like I said, my advice is based on my experience changing the plugs on my '86... I'm not sure how different the '74 is for this job.

Also, buy the Bentley manual. Best investment you will make.

Finally, when you get them out, put them on a piece of paper and label which cylinder each one came out of. Then take pics and post them here, the people on the forum will be able to help tell you if the plugs indicate any issues.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
You may be able to use a regular spark plug socket (different ones may have different thicknesses), but like Amber and Ice say, the Porsche tool is far superior and designed for this particular application. With a regular socket being tight as Amber mentioned, you will likely have the extension you added to the socket pull out leaving the socket and plug still in the engine. I think it was cylinder 6 that was the tricky one... but my car is an '86 so it may be different.

If you don't have the Porsche tool, JB weld your extension (3-4" extension, not bigger or you won't have room in the engine bay to pull it out) to the spark plug socket. This way when you pull it out of the tight space it won't leave the socket behind. It is now your 911 spark plug tool! Having said that, if it's really tight, then your socket is too large in diameter and you shouldn't force it.

I'm not sure on the gap... will check my Bentley when I get home. Also, buy the Bentley manual. Best investment you will make.

Finally, when you get them out, put them on a piece of paper and label which cylinder each one came out of. Then take pics and post them here, the people on the forum will be able to help tell you if the plugs indicate any issues.
Will do. I'll use the tool in the kit then. I get off work in a couple hours, so I'll have it done around 5pm EST.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

If it's a 77 Bosch w225t30. Gap .7mm or .028 inch Not sure if different brands have different gaps but I don't think so

If it's a 76 Bosch w235p21 gap .022in or .55mm
Old 01-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Default This is odd..

I'm pretty sure I'm using the right tool out of the kit(the one on the far left), but it seems I can't reach any of the plugs with the tool? Or do I need to remove the valve covers?
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try second from the right.
I think you use the Allan key next to the screw driver with it,

Far left removes the wheels.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Why the hell is it that cylinders 1-3 were easy to pull out, and 4-6 are torqued to all hell, to the point that I can't even do this with my hands and the factory too???
Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iceman, the plugs you referenced are no longer available as far as I can tell. That old numbering system is longer available. I can't find the crossover reference tables, but I think the W230T30 crosses to a W5d plug in the new listings. If anyone has any cross reference data, please provide a site.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

I've gotten 4 of the 6 plugs out; cylinders 4 and 6 are being awful and a real PITA right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: I need some help