Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headlight Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 08:15 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Headlight Alignment?

Does anyone know how to align headlights? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 87 Carrera.

Thanks

John
Old 08-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

John,

Are you asking where the adjusting screws are? Or, are you asking where to focus the headlamps to get "best" lighting on the road?

If its adjusting mechanism, you have to specify whether you have factory sealed beams or upgrades like H-4s.

Richard
Old 08-19-2003, 10:08 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Richard,

I have H-4s and I know how to adjust the aim of the headlights. I need to know how to ge the "best" lighting on the road.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

John,

I've done this several times with several different cars. I start by finding a level surface where I can position the car approx 25 to 30 feet away from a wall. This is done at night and anyone watching will think you are goofy. I measure from the ground to the mid point of my headlamp and then pick a mark on the wall that is actually about 4 inches lower, one for each headlight. I adjust the lights to hit the marks. Then I take a ride and see whether they are lighting the area straight ahead or off to one side or the other. I also use the high beams to see where they are directed, because you can't adjust them independently of the low beams. From there, its trial and error until I get an area lit that I like, without blinding on-coming drivers.

Unfortunately, every time you take the headlamp assembly out, like to replace a bulb or clean the lens, you will probably have to go through this process all over again.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:58 AM
evren
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this might be useful:

http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html
Old 08-20-2003, 07:28 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evern's post is a good baseline.. I have to personalize my lights because of the 100w low beam. after the baseline I tweak them up till I get flashed from other drivers, then lower them a little till no flashes........Ron
Old 08-20-2003, 07:30 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the help. I now have sufficient information to align my lights.

John
Old 02-12-2004, 04:27 PM
rkrumwiede
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to adjust a 97 993 C4S? I found the screws there are 3 per assembly but I cant figure out which one for up and down, dont want to mess with it and make it worse, I have Eibachs on it and they are pointing to the ground now its lower

Quick Reply: Headlight Alignment?