Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911....are buyers really this dillusional?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:41 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cal44
Four years ago I tried and tried to sell my '84 911 Coupe, in darn near perfect condition and 78K on the odo. Finally got $14 for it. Now the same car is bringing high 20's...........go figure. I want another mid-80's 911 coupe but will not pay what the asks are now.............guess I'll never get another with my mind set.
You and I had almost the same experience. I would love to have my 86 carrera back but not for the prices they are going for now. Honestly, I would love to have that specific 911 back.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A rising tide lifts all boats

As a 30 year observer of auto sales trends, especially sports cars, I agree with mondrian and some other rennlist posters. The rapid rise in all air-cooled p-car values seems to be ebbing while only the best examples trade at record levels.

Rarity and condition are major factors in values over the long term; only the best are collectible. (Repeat this mantra on a daily basis.)

Simply "excellent" or "good" examples appear to be approaching a supply/demand equilibrium. Now, factor in that as these cars continue to age and upkeep costs continue to grow, values will start to slid.

Tides come in, and tides go out.

relinuca
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think part of the price spikes are due to the current car shows on television. Television shows in the past were all about the car itself... The specs, the mechanics, how it drove, etc.
Today, 90% of the TV shows are about buying an old car, washing it, and selling it the next day for a $10,000 profit. Everyone is thinking like a dealer instead of an enthusiast. It wasn't about making huge ridiculous profits, it was about selling for what you had into it. There are very few fair deals left. Look at rennlist and pelican and I think the members selling cars are guilty of inflating worth. Also, there are way too many dealers posing as individual sellers. Dealers need a profit to cover overhead and stay in business, but individuals looking for top dollar is based on greed not need. On pelican you can't comment on classified ads, but there are times when I look at the price of some of the cars and I just want to ask the person if they are crazy.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I am trying to find a decent SC for a friend in the NC area and most of the ones in the Southeast are asking $24K and up for a decent one.

Under $25K seems to be a high mileage with over 150,000 that needs some work.

I did find a nice 82 Coupe for $24K with 130,000 miles on CL but it was sold by the next day going to Europe.

Glad I picked up mine 9 years ago.

This seems like a nice Targa.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/4738443070.html

and this

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4732525404.html
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Second is a better example. Both overpriced IMO.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Experts normally make their living out of these cars so have a vested interest in price hikes ..... As anyone will tell you prices go up, down or stagnate .... After such a rapid rise, market is due for some adjustment or at least a period of stability - no one can tell you when that will be for certain. There is already some cooling off in UK of certain sections such as 993tt & 964 rs & cup cars with showrooms dropping prices by some 10-15% (no takers yet!). Classics on the other hand have been breaking records (pre73).
Possible seasonal cooling after a very hot year. It would be pure luck for anybody to predict what next year's market will be. Given recent history from multiple years of sales, the safe bet will be to follow the multi year trend as opposed to assume it will go the other way.

Those cars you mention may have been priced at the bleeding edge of the curve. They could be consignment with owners wanting them moved at what is for the sellers a great price. Who knows? Can you please post them? They could be opportunities for someone if the prices next year remain firm.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Possible seasonal cooling after a very hot year. It would be pure luck for anybody to predict what next year's market will be. Given recent history from multiple years of sales, the safe bet will be to follow the multi year trend as opposed to assume it will go the other way.

Those cars you mention may have been priced at the bleeding edge of the curve. They could be consignment with owners wanting them moved at what is for the sellers a great price. Who knows? Can you please post them? They could be opportunities for someone if the prices next year remain firm.
Not sure if its of value to US members but its a global village and markets are connected so expect to see ripple effect from one to the other. Besides what's the point of making a statement without backing it up with facts!

Don't be too shocked by prices as Uk prices are always usually 30% higher partly due to RHD cars restricted cross border flow.

Here is the post I made regarding this topic in relevant section (UK 964 prices) last week. Most of the cars in my list have been sitting in showroom since late spring!
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11751020

In addition this 964 club car was for sale at £199,000 till a week or 2 ago(went on sale in September) - Its now £172,900
http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...p-for-sale-604
Same showroom had a few 993 Turbo for sale when I popped in a couple of months ago - all priced close to £110,000 but none were shifting market chatter was to drop prices to below £100,000 - they are all gone and non listed in sold section so presume no takers even under 100k.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
The maroon (cherry rot?) one? It looked like a really nice car and if I knew it could be had for that I would have called! Opposite coasts kept me away, but for 14k...
Yep...........the maroon car. It was nice.........and to think I sold it and my Chiffon '86 (both coupes) to fund a '70 Boss 302 (now gone)..........I aint' to bright.

mike
Old 11-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cal44
Yep...........the maroon car. It was nice.........and to think I sold it and my Chiffon '86 (both coupes) to fund a '70 Boss 302 (now gone)..........I aint' to bright.

mike
Let's not even go there coz I'm sure we all end up looking not bright & I am not just talking cars here!

My list of sold cars is in in signiture (well the ones I liked anyway, not counting the one night stands), if you do the math on current values it adds up to a 918 and pretty sure what I sold for wouldn't even add to to a base 991.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Not sure if its of value to US members but its a global village and markets are connected so expect to see ripple effect from one to the other. Besides what's the point of making a statement without backing it up with facts!

Don't be too shocked by prices as Uk prices are always usually 30% higher partly due to RHD cars restricted cross border flow.

Here is the post I made regarding this topic in relevant section (UK 964 prices) last week. Most of the cars in my list have been sitting in showroom since late spring!
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11751020

In addition this 964 club car was for sale at £199,000 till a week or 2 ago(went on sale in September) - Its now £172,900
http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...p-for-sale-604
Same showroom had a few 993 Turbo for sale when I popped in a couple of months ago - all priced close to £110,000 but none were shifting market chatter was to drop prices to below £100,000 - they are all gone and non listed in sold section so presume no takers even under 100k.
Thank you! That cup car is beautiful.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

That's why I remembered it. There was also another one in pistonheads (private sale) for 180 and he dropped the price after a few weeks too. RS cars were all priced around 150 but none that I know of has been sold at that level. 3-4 years ago they were 50k - gbp. That's why I said market adjustment I think most got a bit over excited and over priced these cars in late spring so we should see some adjustment in autumn, maybe!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welp.........Mondrian, at least I learned something from owning those two 911's.............while on "the other" Porsche site I came across a fellow selling his Lotus Elan I didn't buy his but it got me into Elan's and Elan +2's...............then I was hooked. But want to get another 911 to add to the mix. If you have driven a pre '74 Elan......I don't need to explain.

Getting back on topic. There is a lovely 993 coupe for sale on this website for $89K U.S .........can't I buy a new 911 for that? Apparently I am so far out of the loop........well...........there is no loop

Quick Reply: 911....are buyers really this dillusional?