Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus walker 930 for sale for big bucks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014 | 06:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Thoroughly dispelling the myth that "Out Of Control Hobby" was just a thread about his cars, and "Urban Outlaw" was just a home movie. He planned all this long before he started pitching his first video.

Let's just say that had he made his money in an industry that edified the lives of young people rather than how he did, selling trashy street threads at Hot Topic, I'd likely have no problem with him personally.
Not even a home movie. That was just the intended perception. Watch the video of his Ted lecture at UCLA. He flew in a top indy cinematographer and the movie won an award at a UK film festival. There was nothing "home" about that movie other than location. In the lecture he talks about how his business in addition to the clothing company, has been to provide parts of his home as a film studio. He's connected in that arena...
Old 10-31-2014 | 08:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by GTgears
Not even a home movie. That was just the intended perception. Watch the video of his Ted lecture at UCLA. He flew in a top indy cinematographer and the movie won an award at a UK film festival. There was nothing "home" about that movie other than location. In the lecture he talks about how his business in addition to the clothing company, has been to provide parts of his home as a film studio. He's connected in that arena...
Old 11-01-2014 | 12:37 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Rofl.
Old 11-02-2014 | 06:38 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Anybody who takes an unloved 911, makes it mechanically sound for the next owner is good in my book. I loved just going through all of the photos he posted. He is positively influencing the 911 market by helping increase the general awareness of the beauty and joy of owning one of these cars. I like that he takes what the general population would typically consider an older beater and turns it into a classic.

I mean he puts panache into someone saying, I just spent six figures on a nearly forty year old car. Whoever dropped that amount of money on the car may not have been even considering such an old car without the beauty he depicts in his video.

You know a good, worn in, well running, old 911 turbo, might just fit like a good, worn in, old pair of jeans...
Old 11-02-2014 | 12:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoninDen
You know a good, worn in, well running, old 911 turbo, might just fit like a good, worn in, old pair of jeans...
Owned one? They're pretty horrible cars, all things considered. Probably the first one I worked on was as a 5 year old car, and the "plain" 911 of similar age was a better all-around car.

Moving into the customer cars, pretty much all of them got either/both of revised gearing and bump in compression/displacement + cams+ exhaust + turbo/intercooler. I had so many parts left over from "projects" that I did a 911-into-930 3.0 conversion for my then 25 year old girlfriend almost a quarter century ago. And even on that car I left in the 915, used a 3.2 P/C set + SC cams +3.3 intake. (Budget precluded a different turbo and exhaust.)

Today that ship has sailed, as it's all about originality and vertical collections.
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:26 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911

Owned one? They're pretty horrible cars, all things considered. Probably the first one I worked on was as a 5 year old car, and the "plain" 911 of similar age was a better all-around car.

Moving into the customer cars, pretty much all of them got either/both of revised gearing and bump in compression/displacement + cams+ exhaust + turbo/intercooler. I had so many parts left over from "projects" that I did a 911-into-930 3.0 conversion for my then 25 year old girlfriend almost a quarter century ago. And even on that car I left in the 915, used a 3.2 P/C set + SC cams +3.3 intake. (Budget precluded a different turbo and exhaust.)

Today that ship has sailed, as it's all about originality and vertical collections.
You have a true history with these cars! No I haven't owned one and appreciate your thoughts. At least the buyer bought one that had been gone through thoroughly. When I have mine rebuilt I may come to on advice.

The comment on the jeans was MW is doing with cars what he did with the jeans. Hopefully he will save cars from the boneyard, bring in more enthusiasts all well continuing to do good solid engine rebuilds. I feel he is doing it out of passion for the cars and I admire that! Even if he makes $30 or so on a car here or there, he definitely isn't in it for the money.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:37 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Magnus just started a line of private label wheels. Of course he is for sale.
Yes, I am anxious to hear more about his line of wheels. I admire his ability to turn a passion into a business.

Originally Posted by Reiver
Like him or not, like his cars or not....the guy has style and knows how to work it....came here with a duffel bag.
That's an American success story and if it upsets you......
+1

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Thoroughly dispelling the myth that "Out Of Control Hobby" was just a thread about his cars, and "Urban Outlaw" was just a home movie. He planned all this long before he started pitching his first video.

Let's just say that had he made his money in an industry that edified the lives of young people rather than how he did, selling trashy street threads at Hot Topic, I'd likely have no problem with him personally.
Originally Posted by race911
Doesn't upset us, rather contrast it to everyone from Max Hoffman to Vasek Polak to the Andial guys to even just the racer entrepreneurs like Kelly-Moss (David Stone), Jerry Woods, etc. You know, guys who added true value.
Is there a problem with contrast? With doing something different (or for that matter, something similar)? With having a passion, making something yours, and making money as a result? On that note, what do you mean "true value"? Ken, you obviously have a plethora of knowledge and experience when it comes to Porsche's and the racing heritage that goes along with the brand (which I completely respect), but that is a very close-minded statement. While you may not think what Magnus is doing adds value, others obviously do and are speaking with their wallets.

Magnus is a businessman and marketing guru, and he has a true passion for these cars. All the power to him if he can turn a profit doing what he loves.

Originally Posted by DoninDen
The comment on the jeans was MW is doing with cars what he did with the jeans. Hopefully he will save cars from the boneyard, bring in more enthusiasts all well continuing to do good solid engine rebuilds. I feel he is doing it out of passion for the cars and I admire that! Even if he makes $30 or so on a car here or there, he definitely isn't in it for the money.
I agree with you that he is doing this out of passion, and that there will be lots of benefits to the Porsche community based on what he's done (bringing cars back from junk status, bringing out new enthusiasts etc... even giving us a reason to have these discussions is bringing new activity to our forum). However, I disagree that "he isn't in it for the money". Of course he is - and why shouldn't he be!? People shouldn't think less of him for making money off his passion - he's an inspiration for anybody that wants to follow their dreams.

A general (related) note, not directed to any one person:

It really upsets me when the "creative community" thinks that just because someone is making money, they are no longer true to their passion. Open your eyes people! That should be the goal of every creative person!

Last edited by porsche0nut; 11-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:47 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Jonathon,
Please leave me off that list. I'm describing the facts, not judging the man and his actions. I've met the man and like him. He's a good customer, using my parts in almost all of his built gearboxes. I'm not knocking what he's doing in the least.

If you watch the Ted lecture you will see he's truly a selfmade man living the American Dream. I'll be the last one to knock that.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:54 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Jonathon,
Please leave me off that list. I'm describing the facts, not judging the man and his actions. I've met the man and like him. He's a good customer, using my parts in almost all of his built gearboxes. I'm not knocking what he's doing in the least.

If you watch the Ted lecture you will see he's truly a selfmade man living the American Dream. I'll be the last one to knock that.
Edited for context - my apologies if my list came across as one-sided, it was intended to quote both sides of the discussion, and I included your post because I thought it added positive value to my overall argument. I agree with you and am definitely going to check out his TED talk!

(PS: PM me if you want me to completely remove your quote from my post, I will happily do so.)
Old 11-03-2014 | 11:45 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

No, no pm required. In the past I've actually been singled out as a Magnus apologist, which I'm not. I try to comment on what he's doing factually. Some people find his methods or designs distasteful. I'm largely in the middle. I'm not sure he really planned where this thing has gone but he didn't go into it naively either.

On the design side I like a lot if what he does but personally can't stand front and rear 911R marker assemblies. His wheels look ok but not something I would buy. Again, not 100% an original idea IMO. They look like a 5 spoke version of 914 Fuchs to me. They are my favorite 914 4 bolt wheel. Using them on my bumblebee instead of baby Gasburner Mahles, which are "correct".

But it's all good. You've clarified.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The only thing Magnus would be guilty of is increasing the exposure of classic 911 Porsches thus driving up the demand making it harder for me to find one!
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Is there a problem with contrast? With doing something different (or for that matter, something similar)? With having a passion, making something yours, and making money as a result? On that note, what do you mean "true value"? Ken, you obviously have a plethora of knowledge and experience when it comes to Porsche's and the racing heritage that goes along with the brand (which I completely respect), but that is a very close-minded statement. While you may not think what Magnus is doing adds value, others obviously do and are speaking with their wallets.

Magnus is a businessman and marketing guru, and he has a true passion for these cars. All the power to him if he can turn a profit doing what he loves.
All Mangus had to do was be honest and upfront with us. Instead, we got marketing. The TED thing only confirms the suspicion that the movie and the thread were marketing, rather than hobby.

Please, be creative and enjoy the crap out of this hobby of ours. Please sell everything you can get your hands on. Business is booming for the LA based Porsche world right now. Just don't try and pass it off as a "hobby", when some of us know what is going on over at Hot Topic.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:56 PM
Carrera3
Intermediate

Gosh, where does that send our C3's up to>>>>>
Old 11-03-2014 | 03:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Yes, I am anxious to hear more about his line of wheels. I admire his ability to turn a passion into a business.
I'll see if I can find the press release and scan it. It was in one of the UK mags. I haven't seen anything in Excellence or Pano yet, though I have seen the wheels on his 911SC.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-04-2014 | 01:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

You can see the wheels in the background on the real car. This is Mobil1's booth at SEMA.

Quick Reply: Magnus walker 930 for sale for big bucks.