Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

more transmission drone in 5th at 3k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 12:41 PM
vaughan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more transmission drone in 5th at 3k rpm

Hi everyone. A few months ago I put 8x16 fuchs on the rear of my 88 coupe in place
of the 7x16's, keeping the 225/50s. I noticed on a recent trip that between 2700 and
3100 rpms that there is somewhat more transmission drone than before, even under light acceleration. I don't remember this with the 7's. Does the extra mass of the 8's put more drone in the trans under acceleration? Since hearing more drone I've replaced the trans fluid with Swepco (Mobil 1 earlier) with no change. I also had the throttle linkage checked out and all is correct. I have also done a couple tests and have ruled out tire noise and muffler noise. As I engage in and out of gear at 3k rpm in 5th only, I hear 20% more noise than before. All other gears are quieter. Could it be an aging clutch? Maybe I'm getting old and sensitive. Thanks and hello everyone (i'm an ol' member back in the days of Porschelist.)
Old 08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vaughan, Swepco is the recommended tranny fluid for the earlier cars, but (as I understand it) not for the G-50 cars. On 'ours', you want to go with a synthetic (i.e. Mobil 1, etc.). Since you were hearing the drone before changing the fluid, it wouldn't appear to be the cause, but I just thought I'd pass this info along.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Vaughn:

When 5th gear seems louder than the other 4, in some cases, the tranny is low on oil.

With the car perfectly level, oil should just run out of the fill plug on the side of the case. If not, fill it up until it does.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from 7x16 to 9x16 Fuchs on the rear of my '84 Carrera. No problem with a "drone".

Could it be related to your tires...slight increase in the size of the contact patch or balancing issues? I know when I run Yoko A032R's on my car they drone...actually they howl.

KC is correct...Swepco is preferred in the 915's and synthetic is best in the G50's.

Bruce

Quick Reply: more transmission drone in 5th at 3k rpm