Engine Skipping Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 10:53 AM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Skipping Intermittently

1987 911 Carrera Cab.

For the past 6-months, my Carrera has been experiencing intermittant skipping of the engine. RPM's drop suddenly (as if no spak to engine) for very short and unpredictable amounts of time. Problem occures at high load levels (accelerating hard at high RPM), when backing off the gas just slightly from a constant driving speed, and other unexplained times.

Replaced DME and problem appeared to dissappear for about a month, then reappeared. At that point, we found two corroded spark plug leads and replaced them and also replaced the distributor cap. Again, appeared to help for a while.

Most recently, the problem began occuring again and eventually lead to an almost total engine failure. When stranded in a parking lot, I was able to restart the car but not increase RMP's beyone 2,000 and any kind of load on the engine would cause it to cut out.

After conducting several electrical tests on air flow sensor, DME, spark plugs, O2 sensor, speed sensor etc, we ordered a new ECU.

New ECU got the car running above 2000 RPM again but did not solve the intermittant RMP drop problem.

Last Friday, I again found myself in a parking lot, able to sometimes rev the engine as high as 5,000 RPM, sometimes to 3,500 and sometimes only to 2,000 RPM. This time, I was able to drive as long as I kept the RPM under 2,000.

All of these intermittant problems appear to occur once the engine is warm.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 08-18-2003 | 02:18 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Don:

I'm going to suggest that you replace the cylinder head temp sensor. Thats the leading cause of drivability issues when the engine is hot.
Old 08-19-2003 | 09:17 AM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Skipping Intermittently

Temp head sensor was the fix. After I insisted on the replacement of this part, my shop was able to confirm we had the correct fix because they got a reading on the sensor when it failed.

Thanks for all the help.

I am very, very relieved this morning.

Don

Quick Reply: Engine Skipping Intermittently