1986 911 Speedo repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 911 Speedo repair

Hi

I would like to repair the speedo and tach on my 1986 Porsche 911, I removed the unit from the dash but it seems like the canister which houses the speedo is not removable from around the speedo. I removed the rubber gasket which fits between the speedo and the housing and see no visible means of removing the housing. Is there a way to do so? It appears to be machine crimped?? Anyone with knowledge of doing this that would like to share the information with me would be appreciated.

Someone mentioned that E Bay have instrument clusters for sale? And next question is does anyone know of a reputable repair shop for speedo, and tach?

Thanks
Edward
Old 08-19-2003, 01:02 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edward:

Never done this but '101 projects for you 911' by Wayne Dempsey has the procedure: The crimp needs to be de-crimped pretty rudely with a blunt instrument.

And here I am getting to your next question: palo alto speedometer will rebuild the speedo and re-calibrate it for you for the price of a used one that you may hunt down online: http://www.paspeedo.com/

Good Luck!

George
Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geoge is correct...you must very carefully uncrimp the speedo housing using a thin screwdriver or knife to gain access to the interior of the speedo.

Not sure what you are going to repair inside your speedo. You may want to call Palo Alto Speedo and get their opinion...that much is free. I have seen speedos/tachs that they have opened up and repaired...they look like factory work.

Bruce

Quick Reply: 1986 911 Speedo repair