Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steering column bushing won't go in - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 01:44 PM
Goat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Steering column bushing won't go in - Help!

I have a floppy steering wheel, so I'm trying to replace the plastic bushing (which seems to be gone except for a few stray plastic bits) with the 928 part, 928.347.739.02, which is metal. I can't seem to get it on properly. First I had to spread it way apart just to get it over the column in the first place, much more than I would think should be reasonable, then when I'm pushing it down, it won't fit into the very small amount of space around the column where it seems it should go. I assume that the flange should be on top, and the sleeve should fit snugly around the column, pushed down all the way unitl the flange rests on top of the surrounding metal collar. Is this right? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any tricks? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2001, 02:34 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use those a lot and they just slip in. can't imagine what's wrong with yours. maybe an aftermarket piece?
Old 07-08-2001, 02:46 PM
Goat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, stupid mistake of the week award. There is a circlip on the column that escaped my notice; the bushing definitely won't fit over that! Minus the circlip, the bushing goes on fine, the result is perfect. Sorry for all the fuss.

Quick Reply: Steering column bushing won't go in - Help!