Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to remove the centre console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM
hksamc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the centre console?

Hi all, do you know how to remove and replace Part 42? it is actually the switch holder for hazard warning light and the screen heater. I am thinking the replace mine coz the old one has been cracked.

I checked my local dealer and it only costs usd57.00 so I think it's worth to change provided that the panel is not too difficult to remove.

Cheers, Eric
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM
hksamc
Intermediate

Default can u pls help?

hi all, can u pls help? i have to decide whether i should order the same from the local dealer. many thanks, Eric
Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Grab your Philips and start unscrewing...its that simple. Couple of screws on each side and the rear cover comes off, (not pictured above). Then there are screws on either side of that inner bracket. Very simple job.

Actually, if my memory serves me, it is a bear trying to get the controls off that bracket. It was years ago, but I remember cutting the hole where the wires go so i didnt have to disconnect the controls.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
hksamc
Intermediate

Great thanks. Let me order the console 1st.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just went out and looked at my center console. It's sitting on my work bench and tells the tail well. The back cover has four screws holding it on. Be extremely careful when working with the plastic as it is the most fragile part on the car. The screw holes will break out in chunks. The inner black console part you are after has a couple screws on either side.

It's getting the pigtails through it that will be your biggest challenge. The switches that are mounted to it are no big deal, they will just pop out.

It's the A/C controls that are the real pain. The part you are after creates a false back to the console pocket and the A/C controls go through it and behind it. If you can get the A/C controls through the hole provided, you are a better man that I.. I gave up and just cut a bigger hole. You may want to just get out your hole saw and drill an overlapping hole about the same diameter that will allow you to push the controls through. Once the part is installed you will never see it again.

EDIT: I went out and took a couple pictures for you. You are going to try to fit that large square A/C control switch through a much smaller round hole in the console.

The problem with just drilling a larger hole is that the two console parts screw together in addition to sliding together. If you drill it out the screw tab goes with it, allowing the parts to just slide around once installed. There has to be a better way. Perhaps go ahead and drill it, then once the parts go back together you can use some RTV to hold them together. Just a dab on the back side would work perfectly.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 08-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:45 PM
hksamc
Intermediate

great thanks again.....let me try and get back to you.....cheers, Eric

Quick Reply: How to remove the centre console?