Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa top recover

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Targa top recover

Well, I took this project on with a frame that I purchased at a great price to serve as a top I could fold and use when I was driving the car open air ( so I do not ever need to fold the factory original top). I'm into this thing for about $600 all in, so not bad. I learned a few things along the way that I would do differently , but I'm not likely to do it again. I'll be sending my original ( 1984 orinial skin!) to Dan in NJ for professional results.

For starters, this is not a horrible job, but somewhat messy. Second, the quality of the top I obtained from ebay was ok, not the best, but ok. I was able to get a good quality burlap and used batting from a fabric store as I could not find 1/4 inch foam wide enough for this project. Seems to work well, but likely a bit less springy than foam. I took to clean and paint components and replaced on side seal. I did not replace the canvas binding that holds the varios aluminum pieces in the proper orientation. It was in good shape.

I took the time to find the true center of the top and the replacement vinyl and worked out from there. In retrospect, I should have started by affixing the sides to get a tighter stretch across the length of the top. Instead, I worked from the center out and did the sides last. I saw both options displayed in my internet searches and I can tell you that sides first is the way to go.

I worked hard to create the 30 degree down angle on the leading/trailing edges of the top, but actually ended up with more than that. It is probably ok and will likely straighten in time. The liner was easy and , actually, the reinstallation ofthe targa clips was easy as well as I used gorilla tape to hold them in place from the backside ( someone had posted that great idea).

The top folds easily and looks pretty good. There are some wrinlles that came following my first use of the top ( had it folded in the boot for a half day or so) and I am not sure how well they'll come out in time.

Having this top for functionality vs looks was my intent and I am ok with the outcome. I worked on it nights for a few days and was able to soften the top one afternoon for install. Not bad at all.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images    
Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

nice work .where did you get those reubber pieces for along the top of the window or did they come with the top ?

the ones i bought from uro were total junk.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The originals were on the top when I bought it. One was damaged, so I bought a used one via ebay for reasonable money ( paid 45, I believe). The other was usable and I treated it with 303 to get the supple feel back. Purchased all new machine screws for the targa clips. Well worth that small investment. Knowing what I now know, I will probably buy another top skin and re-do it down the road. Nice to know I don't ever need to fold the factory original. Great project.

Quick Reply: Targa top recover