Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Barrier AC 'kit' from RennAire sold by Pelican parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CoffeeBlack
Don't know all the details of this site and how it has worked over the years but the posts above are a terrific example of why I only come here about once a month and go to PP everyday.

PS Griffs products are top notch and packaged with excellent instructions. I'd be disappointed as the OP if I were in his shoes as well
My experience with Pelican is the opposite. Love the technical details that can be found once you wade through all the BS and chest pounding.

It is unfortunate that this thread had to get sucked down to that level too.

Oh and Griff, I don't need your tools...but thank you none the less.
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I was going to make a wise crack that I accomplish more with half the tools
but the picture was priceless.

Thank you for explaining the unfortunate demise of how Renn went down the tubes and why you no longer need 'members dues'.

I do agree it was educational and now I can go back to checking valves on #4 from the back side.

Stay
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by griffiths
I was going to make a wise crack that I accomplish more with half the tools
but the picture was priceless.

Thank you for explaining the unfortunate demise of how Renn went down the tubes and why you no longer need 'members dues'.

I do agree it was educational and now I can go back to checking valves on #4 from the back side.

Stay
Where did I say anything about it going down the tubes?

And where did I say you no longer needed "members dues"? Membership still has a place here. You should read the "Terms of Service" and do your honest best to comply. You are obviously here to sell a product under the cover of giving advice.

I get that your advice is free and there is value in that. I do see how, in your mind, you don't need to pay with cash, because your advice has value, I do get that....but like when Loren fb posts, it's nails on a chalkboard. I am sure many of my post come across the same...so.

Anyway, let's focus on rocket.science getting cold A/C for his baby.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Dear Munchkin

"Terms of Service" , lol, do you really want to toss T'&C's at us?
Like I said, be professional, send an invoice by email or Pm, and fix your billing procedures.

Also, if you are the site owner, manager, forum monitor or whatever, then post your title under your badge so us newbies can read between the fonts.

RocketScience has the right to rant about a "reasonable" issue. And, its rant's like his that can actually help a vendor improve his (oop's "their") product and service offerings, as well it gives the reader food for thought if they are pondering a DIY project such as this. Most importantly, in terms of marketing, for the service side of the puzzle, its the silent customer who walks away and never comes back that hurts any business; so there is something to learn for all reading this thread (for me, I learned that Term of Service needs to be no longer than one sentence).

And, stop picking on Loren, its not his week. I'm filling in for Loren because he's on a 2 week vacation, and next week it's Motor Mister. I have no clue how PP tried to get in the line up cause it's the top top of the last inning and we are playing the field.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM
CoffeeBlack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of chest thumping and wading thru BS from a site that requires $ from its members to operate ... First site I've ever run across that ask for paid membership (other than Angie's list). As a site owner I'd be happy to have the warts and all if my "members" get free technical advice.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by griffiths
Dear Munchkin

"Terms of Service" , lol, do you really want to toss T'&C's at us?
Like I said, be professional, send an invoice by email or Pm, and fix your billing procedures.

Also, if you are the site owner, manager, forum monitor or whatever, then post your title under your badge so us newbies can read between the fonts.

RocketScience has the right to rant about a "reasonable" issue. And, its rant's like his that can actually help a vendor improve his (oop's "their") product and service offerings, as well it gives the reader food for thought if they are pondering a DIY project such as this. Most importantly, in terms of marketing, for the service side of the puzzle, its the silent customer who walks away and never comes back that hurts any business; so there is something to learn for all reading this thread (for me, I learned that Term of Service needs to be no longer than one sentence).

And, stop picking on Loren, its not his week. I'm filling in for Loren because he's on a 2 week vacation, and next week it's Motor Mister. I have no clue how PP tried to get in the line up cause it's the top top of the last inning and we are playing the field.
hey WTF when is it my week ?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Plenty of chest thumping and wading thru BS from a site that requires $ from its members to operate ... First site I've ever run across that ask for paid membership (other than Angie's list). As a site owner I'd be happy to have the warts and all if my "members" get free technical advice.
This is actually a good point . I admitedly was one of those guys who had a free ride for some time. i posted tons of articles on how to do things with detailed pics and explanations, i felt i was "earning my keep". i felt i was actually contributing to help others keep their motoring dream alive who could not afford to trip to the mechanic every time their car hiccuped .

Once they" fixed the issue" i went back to user and all those pics i had posted in those threads were deleted .

People often PM me wanting more details and all i can say is sorry, that was so long ago now i dont remember ( as the pics were removed) and i send them to pelican.

I think IB hurt themselves when they did that to some people.

But it is what it is .
Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd have paid the 17 bucks to avoid watching this erosion of well intended advice.

Back on topic, I recently purchased the 'full' Retro Air Kit to upgrade my 85 Carreras rather minimalist attempt at air conditioning. The kit was very thorough, seemingly complete, and 'about' $2400 or so.

Since I don't do the work, I only installed the rear condenser (to mate to my ducktail, as I knew I'd take the fab time to overdo it!) and the front fan.

The long-time Porsche tech struggled mightily, mostly with the hoses. A little too tight on clearances, an incorrect fitting here and there, and he was getting frustrated.... and I was paying for the lesson.

Fast forward: several phone calls to Retro Air (helpful) and we ended up getting the kit installed (16 hours!) It works like a champ. Ice cold ac, very little power drain (nearly imperceptible idle drop), serious air volume from both fans and a very 'tidy' look to it all.

Sometimes 'kits' aren't as finished as hoped, but this one was about 90% right. Another RLer (jerhofer) has installed a few of these, so perhaps he can shed a more informed light.

The AC is - to me in the deep south - a near deal-killer in this car's otherwise unburstable utility. So having it working like a modern car is a real bonus.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Iceman,
They had you listed as a "sub". I have no clue why cause with your talent you'd be batten in the first line up for sure.

I remember when I first came across Rennlist and I was so pleased to find "information" I could not find in the shop manual or at least it clarified what the funky pictures were about in the shop manual. I recall when Renn was just a daily email list you had to sought through. I pass along BIG kudos to the founder. I guess things have changed with the dollar swapping and ownership, but you would THINK they would improve the website interface, the menu navigation needs work and layout is behind the times; you could hack a better site using WordPress.

So, I took Munchie's suggestion and PAID for my "membership" today, Iza doing all I can to keep the lights on here. But, I gotta a chuckle when I read the benefits of being a paying member:

As a Rennlist Member you help ensure the continuance of this site and are entitled to:
Exclusive Forum Access to these exciting subforums: Off Topic, Member Help, Forum Marketplace, Member to Member Classifieds.
Rennlist sticker of choice offered upon purchase of membership.

The primary reason I signed on, or paid, was so I can do the "off topic stuff".
But, I got this anxiety thing building because I can't decide which Rennlist sticker to choose from; frankly I did not know I had a choice cause I never saw any choices while paying. I wonder why I could only pay with Paypal? You'd think with all the capital backing provided by Internet Brands they could at least offer a direct credit card api to make life easier.

Anyway, I'm so glad to be an "official" Member once again; now I can sleep at night knowing I can say whatever the 'blank' I want to !
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Would you look at that.....Griffiths paid for membership. Welcome aboard. hope your weekend if full of freedom and independents on this most American of holidays.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Congrats Griff ...

JD gave me my membership long ago in recognition of something. I think i was clearing up all the spam long before you west coasters gout out of bed or something to that effect.

When they took that away and destroyed all the articles i wrote , kinda took the wind out of my sails.. so now i just drop in and comment if there is something i remember.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Now we need to campaign for Griff to be awarded a tag line that is something other than Addict.... Something like Chill Out would be perfect.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 AM
CoffeeBlack
Track Day

I am laughing my a$$ off at Griff, I hope I meet you some day and can buy you a beer or four ... Yellow Lamps needs a day job, 26k posts says a lot ... $17 bucks for a sticker, I've got about 20 PP stickers from various orders I'll send you for free.

Look, bottom line is the OP got hosed (LMAO) on a DYI project with a poor replication of a New New stock replacement parts, poor instructions and worse yet poor customer service. Then he gets blasted by a site groupie for whining. Way to encourage people to join the $17 club
Old 07-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I am laughing my a$$ off at Griff, I hope I meet you some day and can buy you a beer or four ... Yellow Lamps needs a day job, 26k posts says a lot ... $17 bucks for a sticker, I've got about 20 PP stickers from various orders I'll send you for free.

Look, bottom line is the OP got hosed (LMAO) on a DYI project with a poor replication of a New New stock replacement parts, poor instructions and worse yet poor customer service. Then he gets blasted by a site groupie for whining. Way to encourage people to join the $17 club
Sorry to burst your bubble Mr Coffee, but I haven't had a job since I was 21, and even then it was for like four months. You see, I worked with what I was given and spun my skills into an income stream that doesn't require trading hours for dollars. I've been coasting through life earning a commission and enjoying life for more than 25 years. Ya, there are customers to supply and all the order writing and billing to do, and there is the occasional stint in the ICU to replace my pacemaker, but I recover and it's back to screwing around. ....and I own a 24/7 daycare with 20 kids at $750/mo that my wife handles, so ya, I should get a job.

Anyway, glad to see OP has made it over this hurdle and that ya'all have enjoyed the laughs along the way.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM
CoffeeBlack
Track Day

Wow! Posting resume to an internet stranger to prove what? You have the time to post 26k times .... That about a year of life total on this one site alone, I think if one had the financial capabilities you say you have they would live life outside of a BBS. but that's just me

Quick Reply: Barrier AC 'kit' from RennAire sold by Pelican parts