Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 911 suspension upgrade needed???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
tomtom911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 911 suspension upgrade needed???

Hi,
I now own my first 911 , a 1982 SC, it has 58k original miles and just about everything is original, very clean.

I have driven it about 700 miles so far. I have new 15” tires. So far I love the car but the drivability on curves at higher speeds, about 55/60 mph + is concerning. I feel there is too much play in the steering such that I don’t have the same feel or much feel of the road that I have a lower speeds.

I drive to the feel of a car and I have many other cars. I can go faster on the same roads with my Subaru!. On windy/hilly parkways this is where I first noticed this and would expect this car to be able to go faster!

I can go faster speeds on straight highways but when I get to 70-75 it starts to begin to feel unsafe …I have taken to 80 only once. I feel I should be able to go faster with this car on these curves on parkways. The car is most fun on windy roads so I am trying to determine if an update of the suspension would fix this type of thing, considering everything is 32 years old.. i do notice when going up hill the car handles better then when going downhill on the the parkways

Any insight or experiences with this.? I have diff opinions on the table, upgrade the shocks and replace with turbo tie rods, then consider 16" tires, or its the tires? Help/thoughts on this are appreciated
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats!

I think before anything we need pics. What tires are they and how old? Does it have a rear spoiler without a front? Perhaps it just needs a good alignment? Hard to say without more info... My car is on stock suspension (turbo tie rods done last weekend) and is very stable even at 120 mph, and corners very well even with 140k on the components. I have a good alignment and new last year Bridgestone re-11s which made a world of a difference.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
tomtom911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. I've attached a pic. I have brand new 15" Michelin Primacy tires. I have 15" wheels and that limited the tires available in stock sizes, not much to choose from on the open market. I don't know when the last alignment was done but hate to do it now if I upgrade the suspension. No rear spoiler or whale tail. all suspension components are 32 years old. I have looked at elephant racing's website and they offer various suspension options, original stock which includes, shocks, turbo tie rods and rubber bushings or options with higher perf bushings and torsion bars.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
froggert
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it be something as simple as the steering column bushing?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop it to euro height and get a good alignment done.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by froggert
could it be something as simple as the steering column bushing?
I don't think so - when mine failed the steering wheel/column rattled back and forth, but the car handled fine.

I think it could be a bunch of things. Alignment, bushings, tie rod ends. You want a knowledgeable shop that can inspect the suspension, then give you a good alignment and corner balance. Don't go replacing bits and pieces and hope the problem is fixed.

Mark
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

On a car this old, one simply needs to assess all of the components. Shocks, tie rods, bushings, are all suspects. Even with low miles, the years will get you. You also have a crazy ride height-way too high, which is going to cause ill habits.

Quick Reply: 82 911 suspension upgrade needed???