BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Will do.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping your classic 911 and adding a current 986/ 987 also has another benefit.
Now you have the perfect reason to buy the car lift you always wanted . . .

Loved Marine Blue's response, what a spread!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Go and test drive a 6TT and the Cayman if your set on a water cooled car. I love both my 911s but my sorted 87 definitely gets more attention than the turb. I have yet track to track my 87 (just bought wheels and tires are en route) so I don't know what is more fun to drive as of yet. Have a feeling I'll be breaking traction more in the 3,2. Heh heh.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 PM
tpd83911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

As always - great insights. Given condition of your 87 would be very reticent to sell as it may be difficult to get back to what you have already - a classic 911 in great shape. You are already wayyyyyy out on depreciation curve and these values are not likely to head south. It is speculative that they will continue to climb (hope so) but the driving bang for the buck can not be beaten. There are great older Caymans in great condition and "track -ready" as pointed out by many posts so if in a position to add that is great option. If only one porsche then DEs with current would be very satisfying. HPDE for those days/weekends at current total loss value is probably good idea. I'm still a bit giddy from first DE weekend with 2004 GT3 (prior limited DE experience with 993). Fantastic experience/fantastic car. Good luck - great choices!!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Just my $.02 is that most people who sell their air cooled 911 end up buying one later again. Sometimes the very same one. You don't hear the same thing about Caymans, but life is short. Go out and do what you feel enriches your life and your experiences. If that means experiencing the Cayman, then there is no harm in selling the 911. 911s are just so hard to forget.
have had 6 air cooled and 8 boxser/cayman. so some do buy mid engine repeatedly. in fact bought another last week.

Originally Posted by aratapuss
I have an '04 Boxster, as well as an '87 911 coupe. I think both cars have their merit. The 911 is such a unique driving experience, that if I only had time for an occasional drive, and wanted to do a few club events, the air cooled is the way to go, however, when I want to drive in comfort, quickly, with all the conveniences such as power steering, anti-lock braking, strong air conditioning or top down etc. the Boxster just blows away the 911.

The Boxster is depreciated down and in such great shape, it makes no sense not to own both. A great pair. It's nice to have a choice when wanting to go for a drive.
if you want less dep'n, 911 air cooled.
if you want value, s2000 really blows them all away and before anyone says s2000 has no soul, you haven't driven one hard enough. no, i dont own one, but i borrow one often.
if you want a car for yourself, do race911 says. he's been around these cars way too long. go drive one. you will have a clear answer after a good drive.

Quick Reply: Considering moving from a 1987 Carrera to a Cayman