Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering moving from a 1987 Carrera to a Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks bhmkv. Good point about depreciation, especially if I didn't drive the car much-that would be somewhat of a waste.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

good to know about the track days. I may do one, just have seen the requirements to get car prepped for the day and thought that may be cost prohibitive. Probably well worth it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

993 TURBO forum. (When this happens with 996 Turbos, we'll know the world has gone insane.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21505
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

I just checked it. I am with Leland West and they already have all the pictures of my car. I will call them to see what it would take to increase the agreed upon value. I don't think there should be much problem but thanks so much for bringing it to my attention.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another data point is that I notice Pete Zimmerman (yes, see the sticky above as the Guy Who Wrote The Book) just sold his ~200K SC for $22K.

(I'm now honestly wondering what I could get out of the 2X salvage titled '80 Weissach Coupe that's a fully functioning car, and just sitting in my backyard for nearly two years since I bought it back as a Spec 911 donor.)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

It is incredible how strong the market is. That is one reason why I have been thinking about making a change. I consider things when the market values an asset I have significantly differently than I do. However, selling my house in Marin when I thought these values had diverged in hindsight has been a big mistake…..Selling a 911 could be a similar mistake on a percentage basis but not overall $ basis. Crazy.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cayman is a great car. The 09 Cayman you can buy today for $30-35k will be available for $25-30k in 3 years. It might bottom out around $20-25k. It won't go any higher. Maybe wait for it to hit its bottom and buy one without selling the 911. Keep 'em both for a year. See what moves you. Food for thought.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '04 Boxster, as well as an '87 911 coupe. I think both cars have their merit. The 911 is such a unique driving experience, that if I only had time for an occasional drive, and wanted to do a few club events, the air cooled is the way to go, however, when I want to drive in comfort, quickly, with all the conveniences such as power steering, anti-lock braking, strong air conditioning or top down etc. the Boxster just blows away the 911.

The Boxster is depreciated down and in such great shape, it makes no sense not to own both. A great pair. It's nice to have a choice when wanting to go for a drive.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:40 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Good idea Reddy. May do that if finances work out in the next few years.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayman will tank in value like the Boxster in only a few years. There are soooo many pristine Boxsters in my area under $10k that they continue to drop simply because the market is flooded. Air cooled 911's are a white elephant and treated like royalty. If you want a cheap run around car, get a Boxster for $6-8k and keep your classic 911.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Like aratapuss I have an 2004 Boxster S, as well as an air-cooled 3.2 (mine's an '85).

I LOVE my 911, but I also have to say I really enjoy the Boxster too. I'm a big admirer of the current Cayman and I can see one of those in my future too.

The 911 vs Boxster for me is a nice variety. They are both very sports-orientated, but have different virtues. Some days I prefer the more modern Boxster, other days its the air cooled all the way.

The 911s are up in value these days, and it may be a bubble, or they may still appreciate further. On the other hand, there is a large variety of good Boxsters and Caymans out there. I would be reluctant to part with my 911 as I put so much into that car and it is not that easy to just find a good one any time you want. On the other hand, I can easily let the Boxster go, knowing that picking up another is easy.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Own a 5 spd 08 Cayman and a 88 911 Cab. Cayman is a superior car in every measurable aspect....except soul. The 911 is more engaging to drive in every respect. I love them both. Don't think I could ever part with either now that I have them.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I probably have the extremes between the 911 and the Boxster. My 911 is a 1969 Sporto which is designed to be a great cruiser and my Boxster is a Spyder which is a focused drivers car.

The 911 does handle amazing and it is extremely engaging (yes you still have to shift the gears manually but no third pedal). What I like best is the fact that you don't need to be driving that fast to get the adrenalin pumping. The limits are so much lower and you can feel the car losing grip at speeds which won't get you arrested. You can play at the limits and have fun without getting into major trouble.

But my Spyder is also extremely engaging and incredibly capable. It's also raw as compared to most modern cars with the buckets, sport suspension and manual top. The drawback is that the limits are so much higher you are breaking the law to get the adrenalin flowing.

Still if I had to choose I would pick the Spyder hands down. To me it's the high water mark of the "manual" Porsche's.

Like others have said, I would focus on the 09 Cayman if you decide to make the switch. It has the better engine and will hold its value far better for that reason. Older Boxsters are suffering major depreciation due to the IMS issues and much of the enthusiast market that would buy these cars is in tune with that so they sit on the market and values drop.

Here's the rub, if you do sell the 911 now and values continue to climb you may not be able to get back into one if you change your mind.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brooks,

As race911 noted, Pete got a strong price for his car. As the guy who bought Pete's car after selling my Cayman, I was okay paying what Pete was looking for.

I have spent a lot of time discussing Pete's car with him, reviewing records, looking at more photos than displayed on EBay, etc. Based on Pete's reputation and our conversations, I will take his high mileage car and enjoy it immensely.

I spent a lot of time either looking at (or paying for PPIs on) cars I located here, or at Pelican, or local dealers. I will just say that I was frequently disappointed. As one mechanic told me after I paid him for a PPI on a car with bad leakdown numbers, "Every guy with a 911 in the back of his garage is rolling it out and trying to sell it...and most of them are junk."

If your Carrera is a nice one, you may want to hold onto it. Base 2011 Cayman in Raleigh with 39,000 miles is about $40k list price, and I bet that price is a little soft. Heck, have one of each. I already have three cars for two people and am about to add a fourth. For me it was a choice of an aircooled car or the Cayman. Down the road, I may want to reverse my decision, but I doubt it.

Good luck.
Sam
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take it to the track. You don't have to push it 10/10ths... just go with the intention of learning your car and enjoying what it has to offer. I guarantee you will fall in love all over again.... I sure did. It's performance will also blow you away - I couldn't believe what my car was capable of in stock form! You don't need to go crazy prepping it, just make sure you have good tires and a shop to go over the car and ensure everything is in order.

Quick Reply: Considering moving from a 1987 Carrera to a Cayman