Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera Cabriolet (M491) arrived today! Feedback on website appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts
Default 87 Carrera Cabriolet (M491) arrived today! Feedback on website appreciated.

Hi,

As discussed in this other thread I found the car of my dreams recently. The deal went through, the PPI results were great and the shipping company came through to deliver the car. I'm happy to report that the car has found its new home in my garage:

While I was waiting for delivery I put together a website / blog for the car. I don't expect it to generate a lot of traffic, I did it mainly to keep a detailed record of my time with the car. There are links to other pages at the top of the site including details on the car, details on the M491 option, etc. Feedback and suggestions for making it better are appreciated.

http://87m491.wordpress.com/

Thanks again for all of the help (whether you knew it or not) in my search for the right car.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the enthusiasm! The Porsche Carrera font on the other hand, doesn't really flow. It is contemporary, but doesn't really match the classic car. The font is also hard to read on the black and white. I wouldn't put pics of the family up, either, especially the kids.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time to send feedback, much appreciated. I'm limited in what I can customize because I won't pay Wordpress $30/year to customize the font Once I have better photos of the car I'm likely to play around with the default image and hopefully the title will be more visible.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The wait is over, yeah! Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love it exactly as is. Keep the boxed rockers.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:19 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great! Congrats on finally getting it. Nice to see another excellent condition m491 out there.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boxed rockers look better on slant nose cars IMHO, but I definitely wouldn't give them away. Even if you do put standard 930 rockers on, keep everything!!! in case you or a later owner wants to go back to original.

I like your Q5 too btw, we have the SQ5 as my wife's daily and I've been super impressed by it (I found it more fun than the new pdk Cayman I test drove a month or so ago).
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice car and website
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats on your great find. Since the box rockers are not OEM, I agree that they should be changed back to OEM rockers.
Steve
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree that the boxed rockers have to go but should be saved or sold to someone doing a slantnose conversion where the look great. They just aren't for me.

JohnSnow, it's funny you mention the SQ5. I bought mine a year or two before they came out with that model so I had to try and create it myself. I really do love driving that little SUV and it is likely faster than my new 911. Not nearly as much fun but with the mods I have the grocery getter really screams.

I'm actually looking forward to the end of our vacation so I can return home and start enjoying my "new" car. But for now I'll go have another Hendricks and tonic and some lobster (in Maine)

Jeff
Old 07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

We got back from vacation at 1 am and if it wasn’t for my two exhausted young children and even more exhausted wife I would have been tempted to go out for a late night cruise. Instead I simply put my eyes on the car for the first time in person and went to bed.

Five very short hours later my alarm went off and it was time to head to work. For the first time in a long time I was looking forward to my long commute. I quickly put on my license plates, got inside the car and started off on my first drive! A few initial impressions:
  • I really should have taken more time to get familiar with the car before hitting the road because simple things like mirror adjustments and climate control are still a complete mystery to me.
  • I think the car has a nice aftermarket stereo but who cares…the sound of that engine is better than anything coming through the speakers.
  • This car is tight. It feels news, shifts smoothly and runs like a dream. I’m sure I’ll experience my share of issues but for now it’s like driving a very old new car.
  • I honestly forgot how hard it is to do slow speed maneuvering in a car without power steering. Backing out of my garage was a nice little workout!
  • That smell…I missed that smell. It’s different from my older SC but still an amazing combination of oil, fuel and leather. Unmistakably Porsche.
  • It’s so much fun to drive that I almost blew past my exit and headed for a drive in the mountains. But that’s for another day.

Resting after a spirited commute to work:
Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for sharing. Your 911 is a work of art.

Now unzip the rear window and leave the top up. The sound is intoxicating.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
archizzzz
Track Day

Default Cousin

Took delivery last month but had to do valve job. Day 2 of hands on the wheel. 1987 M491. My first p car
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

It looks beautiful and motivates me more than ever to get my boxed rockers off the car. The car is going to the body shop on Monday...I couldn't hand it over with such a sunny 4th of July weekend coming up in Seattle!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
archizzzz
Track Day

We did both sides nice to know the engine is tight
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera Cabriolet (M491) arrived today! Feedback on website appreciated.