Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 noob intro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:00 AM
bran3b
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 911 noob intro.

Just wanted to say hi and post a few pictures of my barn find. This is my 4th Porsche but first 911, this one is a '76. I have always been into 928s but never got around to buying a 911.

This one is already causing me problems, mostly expected but one biggie that I didn't see coming, the title is "bad" but I will work through that one. The other 2 issues were expected, first the car hadn't run in several years and the other was rust in the suspension pan. The engine was a solid day and a half but it is now running and can move under it's own power but with the suspension pan I am scared to get it above driveway speed. The suspension pan has rusted under the battery tray. I could probably fix it myself but it would take me months so it is going to the shop for a new pan on the 7th for a hopeful maiden voyage on the 12th.

I didn't pay much so the suspension pan and title issues have not totally put me off, although while at the DMV I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get the title in my name. Enough background, here are the pics.
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look at Restoration Design. That pan is a relatively easy fix that several of the guys here have tackled. Welcome.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 PM
bran3b
Instructor

Their pan looks like a quality part. I was planning to replace it myself but I don't think that I would be able to get the car back on the road for a couple of months but by taking it to the shop I can have it back driving in a week.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and welcome Good luck getting it back on the road. I look forward to reading more about this project. Were you looking or did this just happen to fall into your lap?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM
bran3b
Instructor

I have been trying to talk a friend out of his forsaken 911 for years, then this one just appeared. My wife, kids and I were cruising the neighborhood checking out the garage sales and saw this one sitting in an open garage covered in dust. The owner came walking out as we passed so I asked about it. 2 days later we were pushing it the ~200 yards to my house. That close and I never even know it was there.

Quick Reply: 911 noob intro.