prospective 911 New Owner || Advice/Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Avi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prospective 911 New Owner || Advice/Help

hey guys,

I am new to the whole Porsche world and need some help and advice from you experienced people out there .

I've been looking to buy older 911 and came across one as I am negotiating with the guy and need advice.

1) it's 1977 911 Sc that has been converted to Slant nose by the owner also, he converted the vehicle from Targa to convertible. since I really like the factory look front and targa top much better then the slant nose, would i be able to just replace the fenders back to factory? also since he had to cut the targa cage and remove it can it be reverted and have the targa installed back on the car?

2) The 911 is equipped with 2.7 engine that has been rebuilt along with the clutch about 7000 mi ago. I was looking to get a newer/bigger engine in there either 3.0 or 3.2 possibly turbo. Would that engine fit in there? do you guys know any company who would sell rebuilt bigger engines out there? I came across motor meister but read bad reviews so I am not really sure.
and also if i will need a new transmission to go along with the new engine?

any answer from you guys would be much appreciated. and if ther is any advice as to the model or what should i look for before buying would help me a ton!

thank you bunch, can't wait to hear from you guys

-Avi
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure why you want this car so badly, since there doesn't seem to be anything about it that you like. If you want a 3.0 or 3.2 Targa, then that's what you should be shopping for.

This car was hacked up once, and you're talking about hacking it up again to return to the Targa style. Plus replacing the engine and returning the nose to stock. Even if you got this car for free, by the time you make all these mods, I bet you will spend more than if you bought a stock SC or Carrera. Plus the value of this car will never approach that of an unmodified car.

(BTW, the SCs were 1978-1983. If this is a 1977, it's not an SC).

You need to be much better prepared, or you will end up with a money pit. Start by getting a copy of The Used 911 Story by Pete Zimmerman, and read it a couple of times through.

Mark
Old 06-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Avi
4th Gear

I know the SC models starts at 1977 so i was confused when he mentioned its an SC.

I currently don't have $20k-30K to drop on a car. so i thought if he wanted around $7000 for his car that it gives me room to upgrade and change stuff with no rush on my own with time.
I am not a big fan of the slant nose look vs Factory front so I was wondering, i can live with the cabrio room vs the targa.
I also seen these Porsches goes with some random engine combinations (recently saw one with 5.0 mustang Engine or Corvette ls1 in it) so i wanted anyone experience or advice to what my options are and the budget to expect with project like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are looking at the wrong car. If you don't have $20K for one that is right, then you really don't have the $40K it is going to take to buy this FrankinPorsche, mod it the way you think you may want it, then convert it back to something salvageable once you realize what a boneheaded move you made destroying it even further. I don't think there is a single guy on this board that will talk to you about converting to a water-cooled engine ESPECIALLY one that isn't a flat six. Seriously, just wait until you can afford one that is rights. They are out there.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it. If you can't afford a $20k car, you can't afford this one for $7k.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Avi, You have to start somewhere. Go for it is my opinion. This as good as any but beware trying to make a pig into a swan. Put the stock fenders on, you can do that as a DIY, for very reasonable cash. enjoy the car learn the mechanicals and develop repair skills as DIY. If you are an excellent welder and can do it all your self, body welding conversions are fun. Extremely expensive if you pay anyone. Keep the mods low cost bolt on parts you can take with you when you sell it. Keep a excel spreadsheet of costs and log book of repairs so you can gauge how deep you are getting in dollars. This will keep the emotional spending realistic. Go for it.

Last edited by Seeeu911; 06-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

My advice is to do what you want but to be brutally honest with yourself about why you are doing it. There are plenty of cars out there for sale so don't convince yourself that you have to buy this one. Why buy a converted slant nose if you don't like the look of the car?

Think about what you want to end up with and buy a car that will get you closest to that in your budget. Saving a few grand on the purchase could cost you 10K later. When I was younger I fell in love with a 78 SC and bought it thinking I couldn't find another one out there. Then I put over $10K into with a surprise rebuild. I could have bought another SC for the same purchase price without the top end rebuild if I had been more educated and patient.

However, if you have the skills, time and want to put the sweat equity into your project than you have the flexibility to do whatever you want and have fun with it. I'm not that guy so I need to buy something closer to what I want to end up with.

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 06-20-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Adding sig.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

....and regarding Motor Meister....They were shut down by state regulators for a reason. They have reopened in a neighboring town under a different name. Absolute scum of the earth.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

if you want a 3.0 litre SC targa wait and go buy one .. they are plentiful and the cheaper of the 911s of that era. Buying this car is a very bad move . if he is gioing to sell you this car for 7G after what should have been 5-10g min repair that the 2.7 with pulled studs would have needed, it tells me it wasnt fixed properly.

Plus then you want to spend coin replacing that , somehow welding a traga bar back on perfectly square so a roof will seal ...
Just google and see how much a targa roof will cost you .. will give you an idea of what this project will run into
just to be clear you did ask for opinions.

you would be miles ahead starting with this even if it just mildly checks ot in my opinion.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...74894258&Log=0
Old 06-20-2014, 02:59 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep looking for the right car. Never believe all the hype a seller is giving you. This particular car will be a money pit at the start and IMHO will put a bad taste in your mouth about Porsches. Do your homework. I've never bought a Porsche without documentation and never will. By sticking to that philosophy, I've never been burned in 47 years of Porsche ownership. You don't say where you are from. Contact the local PCA region nearest to you and see what they have to say. There is a car for you.....just have to be patient.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Avi
4th Gear

I appreciate you guys and all the advice very much! unfortunately the car was sold yesterday for $9000 to someone else. I guess i have to wait and keep looking around
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You dodged a bullet. Good cars are out there.

The last Porsche you want to be your first Porsche is a 2,7 someone modded with a Sawzall.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avi
I appreciate you guys and all the advice very much! unfortunately the car was sold yesterday for $9000 to someone else. I guess i have to wait and keep looking around
Good news!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm sorry, this is such bad advice, not knowing all the specifics on this car. The odds that it is simply a matter of bolting original fenders back on is remote. Who knows what butchering was done to it, as it's a Targa/Cab conversion too.

The motor is one of the worst to start with.

There isn't much to love about this car, and the price is NO BARGAIN.

If the OP wants to start somewhere, buy a nice 944 for similar money. Save your money and learn more about these cars, and get the one you want when you can afford.

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
Avi, You have to start somewhere. Go for it is my opinion. This as good as any but beware trying to make a pig into a swan. Put the stock fenders on, you can do that as a DIY, for very reasonable cash. enjoy the car learn the mechanicals and develop repair skills as DIY. If you are an excellent welder and can do it all your self, body welding conversions are fun. Extremely expensive if you pay anyone. Keep the mods low cost bolt on parts you can take with you when you sell it. Keep a excel spreadsheet of costs and log book of repairs so you can gauge how deep you are getting in dollars. This will keep the emotional spending realistic. Go for it.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
You dodged a bullet. Good cars are out there. The last Porsche you want to be your first Porsche is a 2,7 someone modded with a Sawzall.
I totally agree. If you are patient and diligent there are still some good deals to be had on 911s. The more cars you look at the more knowledgeable you will be. And then when you find the right car be ready to move quickly.

Quick Reply: prospective 911 New Owner || Advice/Help