Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Exhaust help please..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust help please..

I recently upgraded my 3.2 to a 3.4 setup. The headers are RarelyL8 and I have a Dansk Sport muffler (2 in 2 out). I use this car as my daily driver and have found the exhaust to be too loud. We first tried capping one side of the exhaust. That made a big difference in drone but not in overall noise. I think the car sounds great at higher RPM but too loud at idle. Here is some data:

Using the DB Meter Pro on my iphone standing 3 feet from the rear of the car at idle and I get 105 db. For comparison I did the same thing with my Ferrari F355 with Tubi headers and Capristo exhaust and got 95 db. Same test on the Audi SUV and got 70 db. I went through the drive-thru at Chic Fil A and had to turn off the engine to order :-)

I originally thought the noise at idle would be partially fixed by turning it into a single outlet exhaust. That fixed the drone in the cabin but surprisingly the same noise measured in DB.

So my question - anyone have an idea on how to not lose HP but make it a little more quiet at idle (I like how it sounds at higher RPM). I see lots of favorable posts for the B&B exhaust but I'm wondering what to expect at idle.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the same Rarely8 headers with a M&K 2in and 2out and have thought of trying theses: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-3di03r/overview/
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

i'm also in the DFW area (West Plano) and would love to hear this exhaust one day. I'm working with Brian right now @ rarlyl8 on a motorsport version of their 1in/1out to pair with my M&K pre-muffler. i'm currently running Fabspeed premuffler and Maxflo muffler and it's WAY TOO quiet - for me. clearly, the headers and 2-in scenario makes a considerable difference. i'm really looking forward to the sound on the motorsport muffler - hoping it's what i'm looking for. based on some vids, my other top option was the Dansk 1in/2out muffler. again, if we can arrange it, i'd love to hear the exhaust on your car sometime.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I have the same Rarely8 headers with a M&K 2in and 2out and have thought of trying theses: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-3di03r/overview/
the issue i see with these is getting them to 'fit' in the curved tips of the Dansk muffler. doesn't look like it would fit at all to me. you need full outer edge contact for these to be effective.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i'm also in the DFW area (West Plano) and would love to hear this exhaust one day. I'm working with Brian right now @ rarlyl8 on a motorsport version of their 1in/1out to pair with my M&K pre-muffler. i'm currently running Fabspeed premuffler and Maxflo muffler and it's WAY TOO quiet - for me. clearly, the headers and 2-in scenario makes a considerable difference. i'm really looking forward to the sound on the motorsport muffler - hoping it's what i'm looking for. based on some vids, my other top option was the Dansk 1in/2out muffler. again, if we can arrange it, i'd love to hear the exhaust on your car sometime.
Happy to. Maybe we can meet up this weekend. I would love to get a ride in your C2S. That car is on my list to acquire at some point.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Any "sport" muffler will be noticeably louder than stock so this is food for thought. If the single-outlet Dansk was still too much for you, I'd recommend an OEM, dual-in/single-out Dansk muffler to contain the noise level.

I've had good luck with both versions on our client's cars.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Any "sport" muffler will be noticeably louder than stock so this is food for thought. If the single-outlet Dansk was still too much for you, I'd recommend an OEM, dual-in/single-out Dansk muffler to contain the noise level.

I've had good luck with both versions on our client's cars.
Thanks Steve. What impact do you think this would have on HP?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Thanks Steve. What impact do you think this would have on HP?
Some,....but everything is a tradeoff,...

Figure about 6-8 HP.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cap the driver's side out instead of the passenger side so it doesn't interfere with your Chik-Fil-A order?

Quick Reply: Exhaust help please..