SWB Parts on LWB Car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question SWB Parts on LWB Car?

Can most parts from a SWB 912 work on a LWB 911? I've been trying to sell my rusty shell of a 912, but no takers. (One person said he would, and, well, I still have it.) So it looks like I'll probably have to part it out, but I want to be sure what parts will fit a LWB car as well.

Most notably, the front and rear bumpers (which are in pretty good shape), the windshield, side glass, fuel tank....hmmm....doors, front fenders, hood...that's probably about all I've got that might fit a LWB car.

FYI, this car has full suspension (which I know won't fit a LWB car, at least not the rear) and steel wheels in good shape. Also have 901 shift mechanism, full gauges (but the chrome is a little tarnished), and a so-so steering wheel.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! And if you know anybody looking for parts, please pass this info along.

Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2003, 08:10 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

can they work.. probably not. suspension i think not. swb cannot fit turbo tie rods, lwb can, and i know the front is designed differently. very close, but no go, because the way it was repackaged to fit into the longer wb (at least im 90% sure).

doug, you have a swb 912 parts car?

hmmmmmmmmmmm........ year info details? what mechanical parts are left? anything with engine (dosent look to be in the car)? trany? shifting stuff? i know i want the deck lid grill off it. maybe some other stuff too. i know i could use a parts car.

how much to take it all off your hands? i would love to get a parts car, as you know i need to get my car home and money is tight. hold on to it for at least a week if you can, so i can call you when i get home and we can work somthing out. i also know that if i cant come up with the scratch to buy it, i know some other ohio swb 912ers i can call when i get home, so either way i know how you can get rid of it.

what im interested in so far for sure is the window regulators, anything transmition and shifter related, rear deck grill, horn grills... damn.. too much **** to list. hows the interior? what body parts are good and whats junk?

im assuming looking at it and hearing that it has chrome gauges that its a 67?

please let me know the low down.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well Harry, I hate to disappoint, but the car isn't much more than a rusty shell with complete suspension. I had hoped to bring it back to life and make a classic racer out of it. Being a '67, I thought it would make a great 911R replica. But it's just too much for me.

There is no motor or trans. No interior to speak of (actually came with original seats, but not sure they're worth much). There is a gearshift and mechanics back to where it would connect to the trans. Complete suspension (as mentioned), full gauges, glass ('cept the rear)...and that's about it.

Specifically what I was wondering is if the rear bumpers will fit on a LWB 911? I've got somebody interested in the windsheild and rear bumpers (if they fit), but I'd rather get rid of the whole car. If not, I'm keeping the wheels for my project (so as not to damage the Fuchs) and I'll try to sell the rest of the parts separately.

If you want to stop by to check it out, you're more than welcome. I'd love to hear all about your trip!

Old 08-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

My original dream....
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
George H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry, are you sure about the turbo tie rods? That was my next upgrade, and I was told by a couple places that they fit just fine, even though some sites have them listed 69+ (others have them, supposedly correctly, 65+)

Have you, or do you know somene who tried them and they didn't fit?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

i have heared from others that yes the turbo tie rods fit on swb, and no they dont. so as i said im really not sure. i met someone who did on their swb which makes me think that i can be done with some work at least, but up until that time i was always told no.

but i do know for a fact the suspensions are slightly different.

if you wanna ask someone, ask john thornton on the 912 builiten boards www.bbs912.org he would know for sure. (btw, they really wont care if youre talking about a 911 or 912 as they are the same except the motor)

Doug,
the gear shift mechanics interest me, so do the windows, window regulators (definitly somthing i could use an extra of), and as i mentioned that grill is definitly somthing i want. if you can at least save the regulators and grill for me, and let me know what you want, id be grateful.

now when you say bumpers, you mean the rear bumperettes (the 2 chrome bumpers that comeout of the center section in the back)? i believe those will fit.

depending on where im at and how tired i am, i may be able to stop through on my way home. pm me with contact info. if i cant stop then i know there is a show either in august or september called the family ruinion (all vw and porsches) that im hoping to go to. maybe we can meet up around then if not on my return trip.

Last edited by hoffman912; 08-06-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm talking about the whole bumper assembly. The one piece in the front and the three pieces in the back. Will they fit a LWB car? ...Anybody?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:00 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

ask the 912bbs john thornton would know. they wont care if its 911 or 912 to be honest.

Quick Reply: SWB Parts on LWB Car?