Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911R style Manual Window Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Jason F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911R style Manual Window Question?

Can anyone explain, or does anyone have photos/diagrams or links of how to change my manual crank window to a manual sliding system, ala 911R style (I think) . This is for my track car, and I simply do not like the roll up mechanism in my fiberglass door, however I still want the window to be either up or down (partially up is not necessary).

If not, is this something my local Porsche/custom body shop should be able to handle.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

Jason French
1977 911S 3.2
Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I did it, and then scrapped the Lexan and went back to roll-up windows.

Sliding Lexan up and down scratches the heck out of it. And if you're still using glass, you're not saving all that much weight by eliminating the roll-up stuff.

Still, if you're set on it, you could do it yourself. Take out the panels, and attach a strap to the center-point of the window (easy if it's Lexan). Put two snaps on the strap, and rivet the base for the snaps into the fiberglass.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Jason F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it might be that easy. but wasn't sure.

The roll up mechanism doesn't operate very smoothe on the fiberglass driver door as the door isn't an exact replica of the factory steel door on the inside, and I believe the roll up mechanism is somewhat misaligned and really makes the fiberglass inner panel flex. It's takes a bit of force to get the window up and down.

I think the simplicity of a strap would do the trick for me, and I will probably go that route.

Thanks.

Jason French
1977 911S 3.2

Quick Reply: 911R style Manual Window Question?