Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 max hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:59 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 max hp

Just curios, what is the max hp you can get out of a 3.2 motor without changing the displacement?

Eric 79 930
Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Eric:

A few questions to be answered before I reply,...

1) N/A or turbocharged?

2)Emissions legal or not?

3)Streetable or a race engine?

Answer those, and I'll help,......
The following users liked this post:
WCSROW (06-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

Steve,

N/A , emmisions legal and streetable. Thanks Eric
Old 08-02-2003, 03:50 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the additional info; that helps.

A street-friendly, emissions legal 3.2 with Motronic can do around 235-250 HP with a chip, good exhaust & muffler, 964 cams, twin-ignition, and some intake modifications.

If one has the budget to install a tall butterfly intake system and aftermarket engine management like DTA, you can do better,....
Old 08-02-2003, 04:53 PM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Thanks for the advice, but I am a little confused. I thought that the stock exhaust is the weak link (as far as horsepower) on the US 3.2L motors, and that SIGNIFICANT horsepower can only be gained by removing the stock heat exchangers, cat and single inlet muffler and going to the pre-74 style exhaust with SSI's and a dual inlet muffler. This will not keep the car street legal (at least in California) and is the reason that I have not done this. I was also under the impression that the exhaust system is the major difference in the US power output of 214-217 vs. the Euro power output of 231? I think the CR may be a bit higher on the Euro 3.2L pistons as well, right?

What other exhaust system(s) are you referring to that remains street legal by keeping the cat and still flows properly? Is there a dual cat/dual inlet muffler combo available? The exhaust system routing that Porsche had to do because of emissions requirements is not very good, I can't see where good power can be gained by both sets of pipes having to go through the single cat and than into the muffler. I certainly welcome your feedback because this is something that I would like to do not only for the power increase, but also for the sound enhancement. Gotta keep the car 100% emissions legal though.

Ralph

P.S. - One last question, on many cars changing the camshaft(s) does nothing (or very little) without also changing the exhaust system. Is this also the case for the 3.2L motor? I would consider the 964 cams if they will make power with the stock 3.2L exhaust since the SSI/dual inlet muffler is out of the question.
The following users liked this post:
sv (06-20-2022)
Old 08-02-2003, 06:41 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Ralph:

You are correct, the Carrera's exhaust system is not ideal and when additional performance is needed, we will install a pair of SSI's and a Monty Sport Muffler.

For smog testing every two years, the OEM HE's, cat, and muffler system is reinstalled and if the hardware is liberally coated with a copper-based antiseize, this becomes pretty easy to do.

964 cams are a great upgrade and will not affect smog compliance. The addition of the SSI's and Sport Muffler simply adds to it.

Euro 3.2's initially had a higher CR.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Gary_C
Advanced

What if you don't need to keep your car smog legal.What are the limits of the 3.2?
Any examples?
Gary
Old 08-03-2003, 12:05 AM
lightning
Advanced

Default US 207 bhp version vs EU 231

Hi Steve,

Interesting subject this one.

I have a US version Carrera 3.2 from 86 and as I understand I have a lower CR than the European version from pre 87. However from 87 to 89 the European version got the same CR as the US version but without cat. Does this mean that it became the same engine from 87 except from the management system and a cat.

As I live in Sweden I do not need to have a cat and I have replaced it with a cat bypass. Can I get the 231 bhp by upgrading the DME chip or are there some other parts that differs?

BTW, I did get some positive results on the mid rpm register when I removed the catalyst.

Best regards
Anders
Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Eric,

I was able to get 335HP out of an '84 euro engine (so I started with higher compression). No not smog legal as it had B&B headers, and my own designed dual Ultraflo Dynomax mufflers with a balance pipe. Used a MAF system, custom software, 993RS cams (can't remember advance), high spark ignition, high flow fuel regulator, LWF, ported heads with stiff springs and Titanium retainers, and extrude honed intake. I know I am forgetting somethings, but you can get reasonable power out of these motors. Of course keeping it smog legal is a problem...

Good luck..
Old 08-03-2003, 02:30 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Anders:

You are correct; from '87 the engines are the same except for the ECU and cat. You ought to be able to get close to the 231 HP with a proper chip (98 RON) and a cat bypass.

Bob has had much better success than I have; I've never seen over 300 HP from a single ignition, Motronic injected 3.2 with mild cams like the 993 RS ones.

I've gotten well over 325 HP on a 3.2, but it had really good heads, 11.5:1 CR, tall butterfly RSR or slide injection MFI or carbs, early RSR-type or GE 100 cams with headers, and a set of our race mufflers. Of course, the internals were VERY well "massaged",...

IMHO, 260-270 HP from a well done smog-legal 3.2 is about it.

These figures were from either our 800 HP Go-Power dyno or the new 1000 HP SuperFlow engine dyno.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:03 AM
lightning
Advanced

Thank you for a great answer Steve,

Today I'm driving with the lambda but without the catalyst. As I see it the lambda can do a valueble work by collecting data for the ECU. Shall Ikeep it or disconnect it and how do I do that, just disconnect it or perhaps connect the cables in some way. What kind of DME chip shall I use, one for a catalyst or one for the european version without cat.

Best regards
Anders
Old 08-03-2003, 02:28 PM
RL Technical Advisor

My pleasure, anytime,...

Motronic engines run MUCH better in closed-loop; that is, with the oxysensor connected and functioning. The cat is optional.

If you do not have the cat, then use a chip for such a vehicle. The A/F ratios are rather different.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:44 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Steve,

I apologize as I did screw up my numbers. It was 305 not 335 HP for my 3.2. That would have been something. Should have spent a little more time reviewing my post, especially regarding HP figures. And can't find the specs anymore on the Webcam site, but they were probably the 993SS cams as they were mechanical lifters and a fairly radical grind, especially for a 3.2. Oh, and I forgot to mention the throttle body work, and the knife edge crank. Funny thing was, I was putting out 297HP until I connected the negative ground from the battery directly to the transaxle with 4 guage welding cable. Then HP moved up over 300... Never underestimate the value of a good ground...

Sure worked nice on a 24xx lb Carrera with Big Reds, coilovers, and a Quaife...

Old 08-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

The 993 bumpers, mirrors, spoiler and rockers look great on that car!

I had to look twice.

Quick Reply: 3.2 max hp