Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Today I Realized My Dream(Drove a 911 for the first time!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I just remembered my second question.

I'm given to understand that VINs from the 70s might be harder to work with than newer cars, but is there any way I could learn more about my dad's 911? Specifically his car alone? Build date, where it was sold, and so forth? Would the VIN help here? What do I do with it?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Once warmed up no issues with the rpm. usage. That is what makes a slow car fast.
Cruising in 5th at 70 mph 3k, drop it into 4th and hit it...that's when that 6 sings (when your Dad and the law allows).
Just practice the double clutching slowly til you get the hang of it.
You can DC downwards too but blip the throttle when in neutral...i.e. 2nd gear to first gear when moving slowly obviously (hill or stop etc.) Clutch pedal to floor move from second to neutral, clutch pedal up slight throttle blip, clutch pedal down and into first gear. Take your time.
No blip needed when going up 1-2-3-4 etc and I generally only use it on 1-2 changes otherwise do as you are doing and take your time placing it in gear.
Have fun.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Congratulations! I'll never forget my first 911 drive, and the nice gentleman that tossed me the keys.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:11 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcochran1
Congratulations! I'll never forget my first 911 drive, and the nice gentleman that tossed me the keys.
What was yours like?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
What was yours like?

I pulled up to my aunts house for a Super Bowl party and saw an unfamiliar Guards Red 993 cab out front, lowered with MY02s and the top down. I fell in love. I eventually found out who it belonged to inside the house and I confessed my undying love for all things Porsche and he tossed me the keys, having known me for 5 minutes. I found out later that he never lets anyone drive that car.

Best experience of my life. The smell. The growl. The 5 gauges. The close windshield. Amazing. After we cruised around town for awhile we got back and I was telling my then fiancé about the drive. He tossed me the keys again and told me to take her for a drive.

I put it on the back burner for years and years, and this finally gave me that push to make the purchase, so I went for it and I've never been happier.

You're a lucky man and should jump at every opportunity to drive that thing.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcochran1
I pulled up to my aunts house for a Super Bowl party and saw an unfamiliar Guards Red 993 cab out front, lowered with MY02s and the top down. I fell in love. I eventually found out who it belonged to inside the house and I confessed my undying love for all things Porsche and he tossed me the keys, having known me for 5 minutes. I found out later that he never lets anyone drive that car. Best experience of my life. The smell. The growl. The 5 gauges. The close windshield. Amazing. After we cruised around town for awhile we got back and I was telling my then fiancé about the drive. He tossed me the keys again and told me to take her for a drive. I put it on the back burner for years and years, and this finally gave me that push to make the purchase, so I went for it and I've never been happier. You're a lucky man and should jump at every opportunity to drive that thing.
You are a very lucky person too! Getting two drives in a 993 from a guy that never let's anyone drive his car!

I can't wait to get my own when I'm done with college! So many options to choose from, like I'm at ze German candy store! Wunderbar!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
I just remembered my second question.

I'm given to understand that VINs from the 70s might be harder to work with than newer cars, but is there any way I could learn more about my dad's 911? Specifically his car alone? Build date, where it was sold, and so forth? Would the VIN help here? What do I do with it?
You could order the Porsche Certificate of Authenticity as that will tell you the options on the car when it left the factory, color, interior and that's about it. Unfortunately, pre 80 cars do not have a VIN that is trackable via Carfax and other services.

Quick Reply: Today I Realized My Dream(Drove a 911 for the first time!)