sportomatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 08:59 PM
spyderman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportomatic

hey,
I recently got a hold of a 76 911 sportomatic targa. Does any one know what the market is like for these cars? this one is in pretty good condition. is the sportomatic desirable, or am i better off converting to a manual trans. does anyone know any tricks for driving it?
thanks
Old 08-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spyderman:

You'll want to buy the back issue of "excellence" mag, issue #116, December 2002. It has a great article on a very nice 1971T Sportomatic. Probably the most recent article I've read regarding the Sporto.

I would think that the Sportomatic has a somewhat limited appeal and a limited amount of technicians that are familiar with it. It's my opinion (which isn't worth much) that values for a Sportomatic equipped car might be less than an equivalent manual trans car. Though, no two 1976 cars are the same, so it would be hard to compare cars apples (Sporto) to apples (manual).

It is supposed to be a reliable transmission and Porsche did race that transmission back in the '70's to prove it's worth.

If the car is still quite nice, it might be worth the most in it's original condition, with the Sporto intact.

Good luck!
Jay
90 964
Old 08-02-2003, 12:17 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Do you like the auto transmission in a 911? That's the actual question you have to ask. Unless you do, don't get the car, no matter for what price.

I strongly believe that most people do NOT like an auto trans in a 911, hence their value is less. At least in the local market here in the SF bay I seemed to have stumbled across affordable 911 that turned out being autos after further reading the ads.

Again, if you like to have an auto, get it, otherwise forget about it. Yes, you could theoretically convert it to stick, but you'd have quite some expense and hassle and might mess up a car that someone wanted who actually likes automatics. Heck, there might be even handicapped people that enjoy the cars and need an auto.

Just my $0.02

George
Old 08-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

The Sportomatic is not an automatic transmission. It's a manual transmission with a dry clutch that's operated by a contact in the shift lever. It also has a torque convertor so you can come to a stop while still in gear, or start off in a gear other than first. Overall, acceleration suffers a bit but you still have the pleasure of banging it up and down through the gears without using a clutch.

The sporto would be the ideal choice for someone who routinely drives in stop and go traffic.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:57 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default handicapped

Originally posted by geo.aigel
Do you like the auto transmission in a 911? That's the actual question you have to ask. Unless you do, don't get the car, no matter for what price.

I strongly believe that most people do NOT like an auto trans in a 911, hence their value is less. At least in the local market here in the SF bay I seemed to have stumbled across affordable 911 that turned out being autos after further reading the ads.

Again, if you like to have an auto, get it, otherwise forget about it. Yes, you could theoretically convert it to stick, but you'd have quite some expense and hassle and might mess up a car that someone wanted who actually likes automatics. Heck, there might be even handicapped people that enjoy the cars and need an auto.

Just my $0.02George
Strangely I am one of those 'handicapped people' and have been driving a Sporto for 17yrs or so . As pointed out the gear change is a manual box with a clutch and torque converter . The speed of the gears engagement can be altered for a pretty instant change or a more leisurely one via the adjustment valve . The 4 speed version is superior to the 3 . I wish a six speed version was available because that would be awesome .
With the sporto change it is possible to execute extremely rapid changes like on a motorcycle without all that clutch nonsense . It has been raced by Porsche AG and famously a 911R Sportomatic came in 1st in the 1967 (I think) 84hr Marathon de la Route at the Nurburgring driven by Vic Elford , Hans Herrmann and Jochen Neerspasch . (if anyone has more info on this win and the car please email me). I have put 100,000 miles on the car and it has seen the redline everytime I've driven it it has recently required a torque converter (second-hand) and ages ago the points on the gearshift needed fettling.
On the negative side , you can't dump the clutch with a handful of revs dialled up and expect to leave black sticky marks . The torque converter has to lock up (max98%) to apply full power to the wheels so basically you rely on the cars excellent torque to get you away from standstill . I've timed my car (considerably lighter than stock) at 6.0secs 0-60mph . So for it's year it's reasonably fast . I would say the sportomatic can be a little frustrating but not because of the semi-auto box , but because you only have 3/4 gears to make use of not a lot of power . However if you don't thrash around a track or spend hours in the gorgeous countryside of California it may be a good town option for you .
If I was suddenly able bodied again tommorrow I would choose a manual or a tiptronic transmission but remember the sporto box with great fondness , it has been very reliable overall , it isn't comlicated once you understand it and it hasn't spoilt my enjoyment of the car .
My recommendation would be to try one but only buy if it's a 4 speed , but if you're not a track day king then the 3 would do nicely too.
As to value unless the sporto box is in a rare car anyway I would say it is less desirable than an equivalent manual but is becoming rare. Hope this is a reasonable shot at a guide for you . Good Luck

Old 08-02-2003, 02:18 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS just found this
http://Sportomatic.org/
Plus here's mine

Last edited by bones; 08-02-2003 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: sportomatic