Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Griffiths A/C Condensor for Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:44 PM
kksarver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griffiths A/C Condensor for Carerra

Has anyone installed the griffiths A/C condensor (in left rear fender well) and evaporator, along with the kuhl vents and 134a coolant?
I have an 86 Carerra with R12 coolant. System needs servicing every year and am looking at trying to get more cooling from the system.
Griffiths system is a little up there in price but am willing to pay if it works better than factory system.

Thanks,
Hot in Antelope Valley
Old 08-01-2003, 08:49 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Go out and pick up this month's issue of Excellence. It contains the first of two articles on installing the Griffiths/Kuehl system in 911's.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Buffalo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Griffiths web site. There is a complete article "The Mr. Ice Project", "33 F Degrees in a 911."
Old 08-01-2003, 01:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kksarver, I had cooling problems on my 88 Carrera and found the old hoses (factory ones that breathe) were going bad and losing Freon. I replaced all of them and now have gone three years without A/C service. It also still has the R12 Freon in it and pulls down to 39 degrees in an ambient temperature of 100+ degrees which is excellent for South Texas.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:26 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a rear fender condenser and I ended up tearing it back out. It puts weight where you don't want it, in addition to being in a tight corner for airflow.

I replaced mine with the Performance Aire under-belly condenser, and I get comparable output than the Mr. Ice car (37 degrees with the blower on high, to their 39, in 85 ambient) with R134a -- which is cheap, and won't give my grandchildren skin cancer and cataracts.

The Griffiths products are very good -- I use their bowtie vent kit, for example. But I think the Performance Aire solution to condenser area is a better idea.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also find the underbelly condenser a more elegant solution. Most people who think they are vulnerable have never tried them to begin with. Others find that their placement, close to the pavement, subjects them to high heat. Well, the factory put the front condenser in the same general area. Besides, once you are moving, this is no longer an issue due to the ammount of airflow there. One could also argue that the left rear fender area isn't exactly cool either. All I know is the coldest 911 I ever sat in, was eight years ago in a 3.3 turbo 911sc with an underbelly condenser. It had no condenser in the rear due to the size of the intercooler. This was in Miami in the Summer and even though we weren't moving since we we working on the motor, the car was a fridge inside. He said that was the only condenser he had. Since then, I have had a liking for those things. Besides, if you do bust one, not only will it protect the underbody of the car by sacrificing itself, it is an easy replacement to boot. I would be interested in hearing other opinions besides Jack's on these underbelly units since I have only sat in one car with it.

Quick Reply: Griffiths A/C Condensor for Carerra