Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Valve guide OR Valve seal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Nene101
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve guide OR Valve seal??

I need some input of the visual of the following valv/valve guides. I realize this is only a visual...............but a quick story of the car: I purchased it in July 2013 and the PO told me that his PO (Porsche mechanic) had overhauled the engine to some extent, but no paper trail to back it up (BTW, the car has 191k). The engine looks is very clean bottom and top. When I pulled the intake manifold to replace the fuel lines, I took a peak at the intake valves and notice that, in particular one valve was leaking oil, which appeared from the guide Now, the others also have some residue, but I believe the oil is from the over-filling the tank. The valves and guides do not appear as part of a 199k mile engine, but I could be wrong.

Calling all Pros: What are your professional opinions on this?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

JMHO, but without any documentation, all you have is a guess about what (if any) engine work was performed. That means that you should assume NOTHING at this point.

Unless you rebuild Porsche heads for a living, its hard to make visual assessments about condition and whether anything is OEM or not.

For the same reasons, I cannot offer you anything constructive without seeing everything for myself. Remember, the guides are lubricated the same way the cams & rocker arms are, from the spray bars just above them so you should see oil on everything under the valve covers. If you see oil on the valves, thats due to either worn guides or severely overfilled oil tank levels.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply: Valve guide OR Valve seal??