Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another cold start/running question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cold start/running question

I have an 80 model, in fact a Weissach edition. It starts almost immediately when cold, but it dies if you give it any gas for at least 3-4 minutes. Even then it kicks and bucks, runs really rough until it gets up to full operating temperature. Not knowing a great deal about CIS I've taken it to two different reputable mechanics. In fact, one kept it for almost a year, although he didn't give it his best effort I don't think. He has done much better work on my other cars. He let this one sit outside so much the paint showed where it had been most of the time, as I keep it inside. I wasn't planning on painting it anytime soon, but now I have to, so I'm looking at a paint job and pulling the engine, so a restoration is probably what I need to do.

Once it's warmed up it runs well other than it does have just a hint of miss you can feel under WOT, although compared to the SC I had before it still seems to run very well, with plenty of power. Pretty much the entire CIS has been replaced, vacuum all verified. The guy who kept it a year, believes it is likely a broken head stud, but he didn't take the engine out to further investigate, and after seeing the condition it was in, I took it home.

My question is does this sound like a broken head stud? I've owned this car for about 8 years but have driven it very little as I bought it after it had been sitting for a long time and I just haven't had the time to do all the things it needs done to it. I am now at the point I need to get it running like it should. The car has only 80k miles on it and I'm pretty sure that's correct, but it sat for a very long time. I know the 3.0s are known for having broken head studs, but I've never heard what symptoms I should expect if that is the case. It does have upgraded tensioners and the airbox fix.

Quick Reply: Another cold start/running question