Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cold running problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold running problem

The car is a 1987 911 Targa, stock engine with 155K miles. I was able to get it out of the garage yesterday and run it around a bit, getting the oil warmed up. Outside temp was around 48 deg. I drove it out to dinner at a winery less that 1/2 mile from my house. When I left there, the outside temp had dropped, but the car started and ran fine. I left it outside for a while, then went to move my 993 so I could put this 911 in the garage. The outside temp was now about 32. The car started, ran for about 5 seconds, then died immediately. Started it again, but it ran very rough, like it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders. Was able to keep it running by revving it up a bit. About 2 minutes later, it started running on all cylinders and idled fine once I backed into the garage.

This happened a couple of times at my old house. Left it in the carport overnight, and it was around freezing when I started it to go to work. It seemed to run fine, until I got on the highway about 1 mile later. It ran rough until I got it back to my house. And then ran fine when I got back later after work (took a different car to work that day).

My mechanic didn't have a real good idea, but suggested that maybe the IAC had some water in it and it froze (?). I cleaned and lightly oiled that. And then things warmed up and I wasn't able to test again.

I'm thinking about taking the IAC off again, and putting it in my freezer for a while, and checking to see if it moves.

Any other ideas? AFM maybe getting old?

Thanks for any information!

- Steve D.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve,

You'll need to check, but it sounds like the head temp sensor (and perhaps its associated connector/wiring) is at fault.

Don't overlook the easy stuff; a failing DME relay, too.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve! - I did put a new head temp sensor after the first time it happened, so that's pretty new. And I've replaced the DME relay as well.

A little more info - I took the ICV out and it didn't move all that well when it was 40 deg in my shop. Hmmm... So I put it in my freezer (the one in my shop so my wife didn't too excited!). After about an hour I pulled it out, and it didn't move at all. Not sure how long this ICV has been in the car but I know I've cleaned it several times, so I think I'll get a new one and try it out.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Steve,

You'll need to check, but it sounds like the head temp sensor (and perhaps its associated connector/wiring) is at fault.

Don't overlook the easy stuff; a failing DME relay, too.

Quick Reply: Cold running problem